Non emergency / Respiratory or Cold

ChickenDadInTraining

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
One of our 2 month olds came down with something overnight.
He is wheezing and it is hard for him to breath.
Youtube Video this morning
He was his normal self last night and this morning he is not.
The other 5 in that brooder appear to be ok, with one now sniffling.

The only two changes is new bedding a couple days ago and it got down to freezing last night.
The brooder does have a lamp set up in one corner.

We gave him VetRX and sat with him in a steam shower for quite a while.
He did get to breath easy for about 30 seconds of the 10+ minutes in the shower. No he did not get wet.
Should we just watch him, or is there something else we should give him.

All of the poops appear normal. Nothing clogged in his nostrils or throat that we can tell.

Oh, he looks very sick and weak. Did your chicks come from a hatchery, breeder, or did you hatch them from your eggs? Where are you located? I would worry that he or she has a respiratory disease, but worms could also be a problem. Do you have any antibiotics or wormer?

For a respiratory disease, I would give tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline. The scours tablets are oxytetracycline and I believe they are 250 mg tablets. I would use 1/4 tablet crushed in food twice a day for 7 days. But if you could get tylosin or Tylan, that could be easier to use.

I also would worm him with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer orhorse paste 1/4 ml per pound of weight, and give that for 5 consecutive days. That would treat gapeworms and most other worms.

The Corid dosage should be 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The poop looks like it has a lot of intestinal shed, but I would go ahead and treat him. If you should lose him, your state vet could do a necropsy with testing for what disease he is showing.

We had to put in hay. Stores were out of pine chips. I have been using hay for about a month now.
Okay, hay is good. When you mentioned that this respiratory distress seemed to correspond with new bedding, my mind immediately jumped to cedar bedding. Unless it's moldy, or really dusty, hay shouldn't cause respiratory issues.

Back
Top Bottom