Non-Fighting Muff GameFowl Project

How Many Of You Think This Is A Good Idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
I have everything planned out, & in the order the I want Sire(s), & Dame(s) to breed in.

Sire(s) Black Birchen, Easter Egger.
Black Copper Maran/GameFowl cross.

Dame(s) RJF Hybrids.
0114201229.jpg
He looks to have a quite a bit of Game in him.

Black Copper Maran/GameFowl cross.
1213191503.jpg
Both Sire(s) have incomplete double spurs. I want that feature to distinguish my version of the breed from the other variety. Will add Sumatra to the bloodline to triple the spurs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Pictures of Dame(s)
0906191510.jpg
1014191504b.jpg
The Dame(s) are growing spurs which are nice. These girls will give the offspring a spunky attitude, & a more skinny sporty, tight body type.
Color isn't the goal of this project, so any color is acceptable. The goals of this project is to make a GameFowl type bird that doesn't have the rooster aggression/fighting instinct, but has the look of that particular breed.
Thinking about calling this new breed a Faux-Fighter, or Fake-Fighter.

Only question I have, do muff games have single, pea, walnut, cushion, or strawberry combs? Hard to find pictures of them with combs.

Last edited:
My Maran/GameFowl cross is very much a big baby, but does get into fights which is to be expected from him. The good thing is they don't turn into death matches. The fights stop when one of them gives up, or I physically break them up.

The EE is more of the "Don't Touch Me" type of cockerel, & also has a little bit of fighting problem, but yet it is something to be expected.

I may not breed out all of the fighting instinct genes, but will at least lessen them.

Starting from scratch is going to be a challenge, which is fine, & may take a few years to complete.

:idunno I honestly see no point in this. Are you certain they even have Gamefowl in them?
What's the point of having game if they are not game? You will have barnyard laying mixes period.
Yes, they have game in them. EE's originally had some Gamefowl influence a very long time ago. Mainly from the Araucana part.

My Maran cross, I had somebody help me identify the other half of him.

They will still be game, but with less of a chance of them attacking your other birds.

The RJF hybrids look like they've mixed with an American Game of some sort.

Last edited:
:idunno I honestly see no point in this. Are you certain they even have Gamefowl in them?
What's the point of having game if they are not game? You will have barnyard laying mixes period.
I understand this your opinion. The breeding project will work out, it'll just take along time until they breed true.

The Collonca Chicken is the ansestor of both Ameruacana, & Araucana.
b515a6d28a70aa7642002961eb14e9a8.jpg
Image From Internet.

Last edited:
The breeding project will work out, it'll just take along time until they breed true.
I've not done any breeding but I believe the last part of that statement is true. A LONG time. It took many, many years to get the USA Araucana and Ameraucana birds they developed to breed true and be accepted as a breed.

I also don't understand the intent of the project. What are your goals for the resulting "breed"? I'm not sure I would want a bunch of birds with spurs, I've got a few hens that are going at each other (don't know why) and I'm glad they have no spurs or they could be doing some serious damage.

The OP obviously likes chickens and some of the prettiest birds I have owned have been mixed. One interesting thing to me is the mention about breeding to limit aggressiveness towards humans and other birds. In my younger days I owned many games, including fighting cocks, and have never had a single one that showed any aggressiveness towards people.

I've not done any breeding but I believe the last part of that statement is true. A LONG time. It took many, many years to get the USA Araucana and Ameraucana birds they developed to breed true and be accepted as a breed.

I also don't understand the intent of the project. What are your goals for the resulting "breed"? I'm not sure I would want a bunch of birds with spurs, I've got a few hens that are going at each other (don't know why) and I'm glad they have no spurs or they could be doing some serious damage.
The goal of the project is to make a sporty bird, with less of the instinct to attack/fight other roosters.

Glad you agree about how long the breeding process will take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom