Non-Fighting Muff GameFowl Project

How Many Of You Think This Is A Good Idea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issue I have is that you don’t have a pure gamefowl involved in the crossing (that you know of 10000%) which, would then make them not gamefowl but rather muffed birds that look like them at least a little. Like Easter eggers.

It’s not gamefowl without the "game"... y’know?

The OP obviously likes chickens and some of the prettiest birds I have owned have been mixed. One interesting thing to me is the mention about breeding to limit aggressiveness towards humans and other birds. In my younger days I owned many games, including fighting cocks, and have never had a single one that showed any aggressiveness towards people.
There's actually been quite a few reports of GameFowl being human aggressive. A good one for example is the Spanish Game Cock. I've heard they have a nasty reputation about them.
I read this somewhere on a BYC thread. Don't remember the thread's title though. A person had this breed, & it wanted to tear his face off.

Last edited:
Only issue I have is that you don’t have a pure gamefowl involved in the crossing (that you know of 10000%) which, would then make them not gamefowl but rather muffed birds that look like them at least a little. Like Easter eggers.

It’s not gamefowl without the "game"... y’know?
I'll be adding pure games after I get the body structure, & behavior I want. I'll only use females for the crossing cuz males are a bit iffy.

All of the birds I'm using are part game. The EE is most likely quarter, my Maran, & RJF hybrids are half game.

A similar product might be developed by breeding a pure Muff Game rooster to a your pullets and breeding their female offspring back to the same rooster. The look of the back-crossed birds will look very similar to the Muff Game rooster, but lack the gameness trait you are wanting to avoid. The end product will be gamer that the RJF birds you currently have but will be by no means gamefowl.

The games being reputed for being human aggressive is overall less accurate than saying Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds are not prone to be human aggressive.

I kicked the hornets nest to never return.

A similar product might be developed by breeding a pure Muff Game rooster to a your pullets and breeding their female offspring back to the same rooster. The look of the back-crossed birds will look very similar to the Muff Game rooster, but lack the gameness trait you are wanting to avoid. The end product will be gamer that the RJF birds you currently have but will be by no means gamefowl.

The games being reputed for being human aggressive is overall less accurate than saying Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds are not prone to be human aggressive.

I kicked the hornets nest to never return.
Return to BYC?

I would use muff Games if I knew where to get them, & I find it cheaper to start from scratch.

Lots of breeds can be human aggressive, I understand that, & experienced it.
Should I use my Cuckoo EE pullet instead of my RJF hybrids, or wait till I get the Sumatras?
Some other games I'm planning to get is some Shamo, Aseel, & Thailand Giants. Will any of those work?

Return to BYC?

I would use muff Games if I knew where to get them, & I find it cheaper to start from scratch.

Lots of breeds can be human aggressive, I understand that, & experienced it.
Should I use my Cuckoo EE pullet instead of my RJF hybrids, or wait till I get the Sumatras?
Some other games I'm planning to get is some Shamo, Aseel, & Thailand Giants. Will any of those work?
Sorry....I know I'm new here but I just don't get the point. I'm not sure you've clearly stated what your end goal is. The final result you are hoping to achieve is??? And is that just for your own curiosity or is there a problem you are solving or a need you're are filling? It seems to me that there are so many wonderful breeds...if you are interested in breeding why not focus on one and work to improve it? Sorry....just don't understand.....you may have a clear goal in mind but I don't know what it is.

Sorry....I know I'm new here but I just don't get the point. I'm not sure you've clearly stated what your end goal is. The final result you are hoping to achieve is??? And is that just for your own curiosity or is there a problem you are solving or a need you're are filling? It seems to me that there are so many wonderful breeds...if you are interested in breeding why not focus on one and work to improve it? Sorry....just don't understand.....you may have a clear goal in mind but I don't know what it is.
My goal result from this project is to make a sporty type bird with less of the fighting instinct, making them easier to control pretty much.

I'm planning to be chicken breeder, & this just makes it a good way to practice. And my budget isn't great either. I can't just spend $250 -$300 dollars on a particular breed either. I wish I could though.

My goal result from this project is to make a sporty type bird with less of the fighting instinct, making them easier to control pretty much.

I'm planning to be chicken breeder, & this just makes it a good way to practice. And my budget isn't great either. I can't just spend $250 -$300 dollars on a particular breed either. I wish I could though.
Thanks for that clarification. So, in your mind, there is demand for a "sporty type" bird but those who want them hesitate to get them due to the bird's fighting instinct. So your birds will fill that demand for sporty birds that are less aggressive.

Thanks for that clarification. So, in your mind, there is demand for a "sporty type" bird but those who want them hesitate to get them due to the bird's fighting instinct. So your birds will fill that demand for sporty birds that are less aggressive.
Yes, for those who are new to GameFowl, & don't know what to expect from them. The aggression towards other roosters can be brutal.

Last edited:
I'll be adding pure games after I get the body structure, & behavior I want. I'll only use females for the crossing cuz males are a bit iffy.

All of the birds I'm using are part game. The EE is most likely quarter, my Maran, & RJF hybrids are half game.
Isn't that going backwards?
You're gonna use birds that you can't be sure have game in them to create a game type bird but without the gameness.
Then you're gonna mix in pure games. Won't that bring in the gameness you don't want?
Why not start with a pure game then cross to something close to their type and continue breeding the ones with the type while breeding away from their gameness?
Seems you're gonna be running yourself in circles for a few generations when its not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom