Non laying hens

PCNash

Hatching
12 Years
May 29, 2007
We purchased 12 pullets in March. Most started laying eggs about 6 weeks later (we were getting between 10-11 eggs/day). Now, all of a sudden we are getting maybe 6 eggs/day. I don't believe they are going through a molt and I don't think we have any snakes or other critters. Weather has been very warm (south central TX) but the coop is located beneath a huge oak tree so there is shade. I'm a transplanted city girl so chickens are pretty alien to me. Suggestions as to why they aren't laying? These are a crossbreed of Rhode Island Red and Leghorn. They get hen scratch and pellets for layers and occasionally veggie scraps and grass/weeds from the flowerbeds. Thx PCNash

They need plenty of fresh water when laying. But they need lot of fresh, COOL water when the temperatures and humidity rise to try to keep themselves cool. Also, when temperatures rise, they tend to eat less and may not be getting enough protein and calcium. They need calcium in their diet for proper egg shell formation. If they don't get it, they will steal it from their own bones. Additional oyster shell is helpful. They need sunshine to process Vitamin D properly.

If they are eating more scratch than layer feed, they may not be getting sufficient in minerals, vitamins to lay. If there is a great deal of corn in the scratch, it may be contributing to over heating the birds.

They could have worms or mites.

They could be broody.

A predator or your hens could be eating the eggs.

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom