Non-spill duckling waterer

Quote: Heres a pic of the vinegar bottle waterer that they cannot spill. This is for 3 week old goslings. When they are first born, I use one with a smaller hole about in the middle of the bottle, just big enough so they can reach to the bottom, but can't get their shoulders in. Water won't spill.

I put my gallon waterer in a large black oil changing pan that I got from the Dollar Tree. It is just a bit bigger than the waterer. I also bought a small rectangle cooking pan that has holes in it that I prop the waterer on to raise it up a bit, also from Dollar Tree.
My 6 rouens still get the brooder messy but they aren't hanging out in a swamp of water and pine shaving.
I dump the extra water in the toilet and refill the waterer.

I enjoy the 2 dollar fix... Let me know if you want a picture. The ducks are moving to their new pen within the next week. Apparently too many mealworms made their poop too stinky for the house any more!

Here's what we use with our little ducklings before they go out into the brooder pens outside.

0.jpg

That i can honestly say i have not seen before? how does one make something like that?

I put my gallon waterer in a large black oil changing pan that I got from the Dollar Tree. It is just a bit bigger than the waterer. I also bought a small rectangle cooking pan that has holes in it that I prop the waterer on to raise it up a bit, also from Dollar Tree.
My 6 rouens still get the brooder messy but they aren't hanging out in a swamp of water and pine shaving.
I dump the extra water in the toilet and refill the waterer.

I enjoy the 2 dollar fix... Let me know if you want a picture. The ducks are moving to their new pen within the next week. Apparently too many mealworms made their poop too stinky for the house any more!

I'd be interested in a picture if you get the chance... Can't quite picture it. Ours have moved out to the coop, but it's still cold enough that we've had to keep food and water in with them... Thus taking the mess from the brooder to the coop! Looking forward to warmer nights and fully feathered ducks!

That i can honestly say i have not seen before? how does one make something like that?
It's modified pvc, an air tight container, and rubber seals. It seriously cuts down on the mess. The babies still dribble water out of their beaks, but not too bad considering the alternatives. I got tired of swampy duckling brooders so this is what I came up with. I put a swim pan on top of a plastic tote lid in their brooder box once per day for a few hours.

this looks like a great idea, Im going to be brooding my first ducks this week. I think Im going to be going through my containers and dcreat something similar. Thanks so much for the idea!!

For baby duck waterers, I used rectangular boot trays which I had used for growing baby plants in. I bought them from Garden's Supply. I made a light-weight wooden frame and placed it in the boot tray. Then I attached strong small holed wire to the top of the wooden frame. The waterer sits on top of the wire and they easily climb up and down off the platform and the excess water they fling around drops down into the tray.

Back
Top Bottom