Non-spill duckling waterer

Highlander

Tartan Terror
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Prague
I rigged something together this morning that I am hoping will keep the brooder dryer for a little longer than 3 minutes! I took an old plastic takeaway carton and cut two holes in the lid. I then glued it into a larger more rigid plastic box that has two holes poked into each side of the back. I threaded some string through the holes and this ties the whole thing to the side of the brooder. Pop the lid on the smaller box and fill with water. It is deep enough for them to immerse their bills in but they can't jump in it or tip it over (hopefully!) and the bigger box catches most of the drips from their bills. I've only just started using it so I'll keep you updated on whether it works or not.

16494_waterer_003.jpg

Last edited:
so...I know this is a super old thread, but I stumbled upon this yesterday and I attempted something similar. It does work better than the other dish I had. The brooder stays a little dryer and the water certainly lasts longer!

I will have to say, though...I don't think my little ducklings are very happy about it yet, lol. They immediately started pecking all over the plastic lid and giving me their stare of disapproval...:) Last night they even managed to remove the lid and slept on it....but thankfully the dish wasn't knocked over! I think they are a little more used to it now.

Anyway, thanks for the idea!
Heres an idea I use for feed and water. Should work for ducks as well.
I hang them by the handles so they don't tip. Buy from TSc . Or,They are 3 gallen buckets free from grocery stores. They give them away in the bakery. Frosting comes in them, so they are food grade & very durable.

Last edited:
I have an old plastic cold water tank, pvc tubing to these auto fill cup drinkers, ducks never use them but the chickens worked it out in no time.

View attachment 1073507
I use these with my ducks year 'round. They have a pond until it freezes over. I attach them to a 5 gallon bucket near the bottom. Then I hang the bucket so it doesn't get turned over. I've been doing this for years.

For the ducklings, I cut a small hole about 3-4" from the bottom of a gallon milk jug. Cut the hole so only their head will fit. As they grow, cut a larger hole farther up on the milk jug. Then I put the jug in a 13"x9" cake pan to catch the drips.

As you can see, this jug is cutout is for larger birds.

Attachments

• IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    598.7 KB · Views: 10
Please do keep us updated! Looks like a great design and I would adore having a way to keep them dry. Of course, once the weather is warm I keep them in outdoor brooders with wire bottoms under the straw, so the water just goes straight through to the ground. But for those first few days, and the first couple batches in early Spring, it would be great to have a way to keep them from turning their indoor brooder into a mudhole.
smile.png

Sweet design! Definitely keep us posted on how it's working. I would give anything to have a waterer that can't muck everything up in the brooder. Ducklings are a disaster!

Waterfowl WILL muck up a bucket o' water like that - they carry dirt and feed to the waterers and release it into the water. Ducklings might get into to it - they are both clever and stupid that way - and could drown if they can't get back out.

But that is a clever and resourceful way to handle watering one's chickens.
I use it on my adult geese. Obviously, you can't use the bucket for ducklings, but, for ducklings & goslings, I use a gallon vinegar bottle. I cut out a small hole at first about 2 inches up from the bottom, just large enough for their heads to reach in and be able to dunk. As they grow taller, I raise the hole up, using another bottle, so it holds more water & since they are taller, but still only big enough for their heads & necks. Yes, they still drop feed into it, but I think that is a losing battle, unless you can train them to drink from nipples like chicken learn..

Back
Top Bottom