Non-spill duckling waterer

Quote:
Did this work? I have ducks hatching on New Years day.

It's not bad Debi. there are parts of the brooder dry after a day that weren't dry after 5 minutes before. Also as I mentioned before I like the fact that I know they haven't spilled the lot 3 seconds after I leave and they aren't without water for a few hours so overall I am fairly pleased with myself!
big_smile.png

Cool!!! I am going to try that when they hatch. Ducks are SOOO messy!

so...I know this is a super old thread, but I stumbled upon this yesterday and I attempted something similar. It does work better than the other dish I had. The brooder stays a little dryer and the water certainly lasts longer!

I will have to say, though...I don't think my little ducklings are very happy about it yet, lol. They immediately started pecking all over the plastic lid and giving me their stare of disapproval...:) Last night they even managed to remove the lid and slept on it....but thankfully the dish wasn't knocked over! I think they are a little more used to it now.

Anyway, thanks for the idea!

so...I know this is a super old thread, but I stumbled upon this yesterday and I attempted something similar. It does work better than the other dish I had. The brooder stays a little dryer and the water certainly lasts longer!

I will have to say, though...I don't think my little ducklings are very happy about it yet, lol. They immediately started pecking all over the plastic lid and giving me their stare of disapproval...:) Last night they even managed to remove the lid and slept on it....but thankfully the dish wasn't knocked over! I think they are a little more used to it now.

Anyway, thanks for the idea!
Heres an idea I use for feed and water. Should work for ducks as well.
I hang them by the handles so they don't tip. Buy from TSc . Or,They are 3 gallen buckets free from grocery stores. They give them away in the bakery. Frosting comes in them, so they are food grade & very durable.

Last edited:
Waterfowl WILL muck up a bucket o' water like that - they carry dirt and feed to the waterers and release it into the water. Ducklings might get into to it - they are both clever and stupid that way - and could drown if they can't get back out.

But that is a clever and resourceful way to handle watering one's chickens.

Last edited:
Waterfowl WILL muck up a bucket o' water like that - they carry dirt and feed to the waterers and release it into the water. Ducklings might get into to it - they are both clever and stupid that way - and could drown if they can't get back out.

But that is a clever and resourceful way to handle watering one's chickens.
I use it on my adult geese. Obviously, you can't use the bucket for ducklings, but, for ducklings & goslings, I use a gallon vinegar bottle. I cut out a small hole at first about 2 inches up from the bottom, just large enough for their heads to reach in and be able to dunk. As they grow taller, I raise the hole up, using another bottle, so it holds more water & since they are taller, but still only big enough for their heads & necks. Yes, they still drop feed into it, but I think that is a losing battle, unless you can train them to drink from nipples like chicken learn..

Quote: Heres a pic of the vinegar bottle waterer that they cannot spill. This is for 3 week old goslings. When they are first born, I use one with a smaller hole about in the middle of the bottle, just big enough so they can reach to the bottom, but can't get their shoulders in. Water won't spill.

I put my gallon waterer in a large black oil changing pan that I got from the Dollar Tree. It is just a bit bigger than the waterer. I also bought a small rectangle cooking pan that has holes in it that I prop the waterer on to raise it up a bit, also from Dollar Tree.
My 6 rouens still get the brooder messy but they aren't hanging out in a swamp of water and pine shaving.
I dump the extra water in the toilet and refill the waterer.

I enjoy the 2 dollar fix... Let me know if you want a picture. The ducks are moving to their new pen within the next week. Apparently too many mealworms made their poop too stinky for the house any more!

I put my gallon waterer in a large black oil changing pan that I got from the Dollar Tree. It is just a bit bigger than the waterer. I also bought a small rectangle cooking pan that has holes in it that I prop the waterer on to raise it up a bit, also from Dollar Tree.
My 6 rouens still get the brooder messy but they aren't hanging out in a swamp of water and pine shaving.
I dump the extra water in the toilet and refill the waterer.

I enjoy the 2 dollar fix... Let me know if you want a picture. The ducks are moving to their new pen within the next week. Apparently too many mealworms made their poop too stinky for the house any more!

I'd be interested in a picture if you get the chance... Can't quite picture it. Ours have moved out to the coop, but it's still cold enough that we've had to keep food and water in with them... Thus taking the mess from the brooder to the coop! Looking forward to warmer nights and fully feathered ducks!

Back
Top Bottom