Non-spill duckling waterer

Highlander

Tartan Terror
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Prague
I rigged something together this morning that I am hoping will keep the brooder dryer for a little longer than 3 minutes! I took an old plastic takeaway carton and cut two holes in the lid. I then glued it into a larger more rigid plastic box that has two holes poked into each side of the back. I threaded some string through the holes and this ties the whole thing to the side of the brooder. Pop the lid on the smaller box and fill with water. It is deep enough for them to immerse their bills in but they can't jump in it or tip it over (hopefully!) and the bigger box catches most of the drips from their bills. I've only just started using it so I'll keep you updated on whether it works or not.

16494_waterer_003.jpg

Last edited:
Hope it works for you. It looks like a good design as they do have to reach in a bit to drink. It should help cut down the mess- and not being able to tip it over will be great too.

Looks great, I wish I'd thought of that when I was brooding ducks! They made a huge mess daily.

Please do keep us updated! Looks like a great design and I would adore having a way to keep them dry. Of course, once the weather is warm I keep them in outdoor brooders with wire bottoms under the straw, so the water just goes straight through to the ground. But for those first few days, and the first couple batches in early Spring, it would be great to have a way to keep them from turning their indoor brooder into a mudhole.
smile.png

Sweet design! Definitely keep us posted on how it's working. I would give anything to have a waterer that can't muck everything up in the brooder. Ducklings are a disaster!

Well the waterer is still holding strong this morning. I can't say that the brooder looks a whole lot dryer though, how on earth do they do it!
lol.png
However the thing I like about it is that I know that as soon as I fill it and leave they can't immediately tip it over and be without water until the next time I check on them which could be a few hours. I know that they pretty much have constant water available which they probably didn't before so in that respect I am happy with it.

So do you just snip the strings to empty the larger container? Then re-tie it? Sounds pretty easy and practical. Also, good recycling!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom