Non violent way to kill a chicken

Quote:
LOL...That would probably sell like hotcakes....I'd use it for Barbies!!!
lau.gif

lol I didn't think of Barbies
gig.gif

Quote:
Seriously?
th.gif

Usually vets have a cheaper "exotics" office call. "Fatal plus" only costs the vet 50 cents a ml--most vets double that cost to you. 1 ml will euthanize a 10lb bird.
So what the crap is costing you $90?
idunno.gif

I'm an LVT that works at an Teaching Hospital and we even have "no charge euthanasias" for things like this.
barnie.gif

Same here...and I live in a farming communtiy!!!

The vets are insane on pricing!!!I took a chicken in once for an eye... cost me 150.00 for exam and some drops (for dry eye since it wasn't formed right). I would hate to think what the #$@^^ would charge me to put one down....He really rooked me and I knew it, but what could I do...Not pay him? In a small town? Yeah... Like that's happening...You can bet he wouldn't pull that crap on farmers out here. And he is the only one out of four who would even see me!!! I know farmers that can just walk in and ask for meds and get them....I got pay to get them online because none of them will help me...it sucks!
rant.gif

As I have said before THANK GOD it is uncomfortable for you to kill your hen! Seriously -- thank Him for your sensitivity to this.
Put it in perspective. Being kind to your hen will be unkind to yourself nomatter what unless you either pay for euthanasia (for which you will still grieve) or have someone else do it (again, upsetting).

So, I would do it, throw up, and move on until the pain went away. If you don't think the hen is suffering at this time, just let her be for now.

Truely sorry for your going through this. I hope you get lucky and she just passes on her own. I'm praying for my sick little dog to die in her sleep....

hugs.gif

Thank you all for your replies.. I have not gotten to the point of doing it yet..

It will have to be on another day because the kids are here and I am just not going to do that around them.. maybe tonight after they go to bed.. She is just one that when we let them all out to roam she would be the one to come over and sit on our laps.. just enjoying us.. I took her out yesterday to talk to her sisters through the fence.. almost as a good bye..

I will keep everyone updated..

Update..

I took her to the animal shelter to have her put down..

I cried the whole way there.. the whole way back...

Im still crying...

She was soo sweet.. when they came to see her.. she started talking to them. Like hey how are you ..

she won their hearts too..

Very sorry. It is hard. I have a neighbor do the job on my sick ones and I in turn do the job on his.

This way the emotional attachment is minimized. I wait until the evening when they are quiet. I just take them outside and talk to them softly. They seem pretty comfortable and the axe is swift and final.

I had to put one down with a broken/dislocated leg at around 9 - 10 weeks old. I used a .22 pistol to the back of her head. Fastest is best. I hated it. Had to do a dog that went bad, vicious, not rabies. He gradually got worse and worse and would finally for no reason attack our other dog in my prescence, a sweet humble thing about 1/4 his size. Same solution for him. I hated that too.

Quote:
This is probably the quickest and most humane way to go. When the brain is basically destroyed instantly, there is no pain or awareness after that. Sorry to hear about your dog, sometimes they start going blind when they are older and they get confused/scared so they get mean. Or it could have been a tumor in his brain. Either way, you did the right thing.

smom1976 - Glad to know you got this taken care of in the way best for you. Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom