Non violent way to kill a chicken

Im sorry for your Pain...while as DH says, they are only chickens...we do get attached, and yes it does affects us. The problem comes when we start taking care of them, especially when they are sick!...we tend to them, and get close to them..when they need to be put down. It hurts us, and we want to find the less traumatic way for the poor baby.

I understand how you feel, my first hatch, I babied a chick...talked to it daily and I then saw it was suffering that was killing me to see it suffering so I told DH to just do what had to be done. My god!!! I was so angry I was surprised at my feelings, how I reacted. Of course a knife was used to do it quick, decap the poor baby. DH then wrapped it and put it in the trash.....I was so angry at how it was done, I was angry at DH...didnt want to talk, wanted to know how you could do it like that!!! what is wrong with you?... I cried and cried for my poor Fighter, that was its name.

2nd time, I knew how it was going to go, so I left the house and didnt want to know at all..everyone in byc said ITS PART OF THE JOB, SUCK IT UP...sorry it was hard on me...

I was then given this site by a byc'er...I havent used it, it still hard for me to handle this part of it, and IM A LICENSES MEDIC!!! I see things like this daily, death....
http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/ it has pictures, no pets just how to...

Again my heart goes out to you...take care.

The question asked of me by bantamsrus about the $90 vet bill for putting a creature down. I have only had that done with a cat $90 and this last Wednesday night, I had to have my 14 y.o. Yorkie put down. That was a $100. And the vet stayed late, waiting for us to come in.

I have never had a chicken to a vet.

Hennypennies said.....
"...sometimes you don't have the luxury of time to decide...injuries happen, sicknesses happen, you gotta be quick and mean it. It shows ya love your bird and respect it. " In our last situation, we loved our dog dearly and did what had to be done because of circumstances. No reason to put her through the pain and grief of trying to accomplish the impossible for us. It was time for her to go and go quickly, peacefully she did...no more pain and suffering. The same will eventually apply when comes to the "girls". They won't go to the vet though. That's why a thread like this is good from time to time. jmho

35063_taffy1.jpg

Last edited:
Know what you mean, Im a pet lover...I mean look at my tag!!! lol...but when one of my dogs got sick and had to be put down...he was like 80lbs...and it cost me 225.00, it killed me, I cried and held him in a baby blanket, talked to him before he was put down, telling him he was a good dog, thanked him for loving me....all the crying. I then had him put in a freezer until I could come back the following week with a body bag and take him home to bury him on the property...

but not a chicken...lol...rescued pets yes...even if not mine...it can be hard at times.

I have, over the years, had to put many an animal down, be it chicken, cat, dog, goat, cow or horse, and it is still as hard today as 40 years ago. I have a close friend who also farms, and we trade off this chore as it seems to make it a little easier on both the animal and caregiver.

Hey folks, me again.

Just wanted to jump in and say that I think I came on a little strong to Tulie a few days ago and did not intend to make anyone uncomfortable. Sometimes things don't translate so well on a message board and I just want to reiterate that I totally respect her efforts to dispatch a bird in the most humane way possible.

Now, back to the whole point of the thread, someone mentioned Lortab. Anyone have any idea how orally ingested narcotics will effect poultry? Frankly, If I had to, it sounds like how I would want to go. Thoughts?

I'm glad to see that you decided on a solution that worked for you.

For the record, I got suckered into the car exhaust idea once with some kittens. They
weren't litterbox trained. I know, excuses, excuses.

Anyway, what a horror show. Exhaust is only moderately toxic, but smelly,
hot and noisy.
Even now I don't want to think about it enough to describe it. I had to
come up with plan B.

CO2 is inexpensive and easy to use. It is heavier so stays in a container.
I have read that is commonly used to
render pigs unconscious before slaughter.
While CO2 is briefly uncomfortable to breathe, it brings unconsciousness
within seconds. Be sure to have sufficient concentration to so that they will
actually succumb. I read a study where mice remained alive but unconscious
for many hours breathing 20% CO2 and 80% O2.
There was a Psychiatrist back in the 50's and 60's who treated mental illness
with a 30/70% mixture. It supposedly helped recover traumatic memories.
Otherwise it was harmless
smile.png

I digress...

Anyway CO2 is quick, cheap, and nonviolent. Though a quick clean decapitation
if the bird is calm and your aim is good probably causes slightly less trauma(to the
chicken at least). I know, telling yourself this, won't make it easier.

Maybe you can give her Valium cookies first!

I had to put my Golden Sex Link down today. I will probably second-guess myself forever, but I would not have gone out and done it unless I believed and knew at the time it was the right decision.

I couldn't bring myself to use an axe, but I had an 18" length of 2"x2" lumber, good and solid. I used it the way I used to use a hammer-handle to butcher rabbits: when she hung quiescent from her legs, I gave her a couple of good whacks at the base of the skull. There was nothing left but reflexes after that, and only a few drops of blood.

My kids and I are crying today. But what else could I do? She had not eaten since the night before, and only taking tiny sips of water. She was panting continually, standing in one place, belly swollen, wings drooping, reluctant to lay down and when she did she was propping herself on her hocks so her belly wouldn't touch the ground. I could not leave her like that.

Poor thing.

Anyone know if an overdose of valium would work?
Not that I need to put one of my hens down (thank goodness) but everu just in case. I have a prescription for valium for my cat.
I know for a fact I could never cut one of their heads off.

Back
Top Bottom