NorCal chickens airlifted to East Coast sanctuary

Or the hens just could have been slaughtered
hide.gif

the egg industry breeds way too many hens for them to all live long happy lives on green pastures and die naturally of old age. The industry has developed a use for the hens after their production peaks and personally, I'm okay with that.
The methods used in the industry today are what people have a problem with. That's why I wouldn't touch a Foster Farms chicken with a 10' pole. If someone wants to pay for battery hens to end up on pasture somewhere for someone to take care of, that's their choice. It is certainly nothing anyone should be complaining about.

The methods used in the industry today are what people have a problem with. That's why I wouldn't touch a Foster Farms chicken with a 10' pole. If someone wants to pay for battery hens to end up on pasture somewhere for someone to take care of, that's their choice. It is certainly nothing anyone should be complaining about.

Not complaining about it, just pointing out that it's an industry where the birds have a finite use and then are slaughtered. folks can spend their $ on whatever they want.

Condtions in the "good old days" weren't all that great either. People tend to look fondly back on the idyllic past that never was. You might want to read the book, Beautiful Joe. It was written in 1900 or thereabouts. It is a children's book, but it is worth reading. You can find it on eBay. It was one of my favorite books growing up. That and Black Beauty.

Condtions in the "good old days" weren't all that great either. People tend to look fondly back on the idyllic past that never was. You might want to read the book, Beautiful Joe. It was written in 1900 or thereabouts. It is a children's book, but it is worth reading. You can find it on eBay. It was one of my favorite books growing up. That and Black Beauty.
Well, isn't that presumptuous. I'm quite aware of what methods were used from people I've known from childhood who worked in the poultry business. I have an excellent library of books on these subjects, so a children's book holds no interest for me.The OP was positive news compared to the garbage many are used to. Perhaps some folks, and even yourself, prefer the dismal, sordid news you're used to. Take the negativity elsewhere.

Well, isn't that presumptuous. I'm quite aware of what methods were used from people I've known from childhood who worked in the poultry business. I have an excellent library of books on these subjects, so a children's book holds no interest for me.The OP was positive news compared to the garbage many are used to. Perhaps some folks, and even yourself, prefer the dismal, sordid news you're used to. Take the negativity elsewhere.

I wasn't being negative nor was I trying to offend you although in your opinion I managed to do both. I think Beautiful Joe is a good book and I think it is well worth reading at any age. If nothing else it gives a glimpse about what life was like at the turn of the 20th century, and not just about animals either. And for the record, books written for children that long ago were not at all like the children's books that are written today. I am just assuming Beautiful Joe was written for children because I was a child when I got it. It may not have been.

I understand that people can spend their money any way they want. I still believe it was a publicity stunt. It doesn't work for changes in animal husbandry, it doesn't work for changing peoples minds about confined hens, it does not pay for animal advocacy, it does not pay for maintaining animals, for feed, or for land or for habitat, it does not pay for animal care personnel. What it does is move 1000 chickens across country, at tremendous cost, in a way that garners a great deal of public notice. I think that is close to a definition of publicity stunt.

Or the hens just could have been slaughtered
hide.gif

the egg industry breeds way too many hens for them to all live long happy lives on green pastures and die naturally of old age. The industry has developed a use for the hens after their production peaks and personally, I'm okay with that.
X2... There is no other way to have the mass production of eggs without the eventual need to slaughter older, non-productive hens. It's just a shame that the hens are not provided a more comfortable life, which is my main concern. The fact that spent laying hens get turned into nuggets doesn't bother me.... The way they are treated like cogs in a machine up to that point, it does bother me. "rescuing" a bunch of spent hens does nothing to reduce the suffering of the millions of hens that came before them and the millions that will come after them....

Back
Top Bottom