NORIE DUCK IS HOME NOW!!! Update pg 3

Great news!! I will think good thoughts for Norie
smile.png
Bless you for being such a great duck Mom.

NORIE IS NOW HOME!!!!

After 5 full days at the vet hospital, Norie Borie is finally home in her special pen in her own quarantined room. We're giving her extra treats, like noodles to help fatten her up (she lost a bit of weight during her ordeal).

The final diagnosis/prognosis- she is prone to lung problems, probably from the infection she had when she was 3-4 months old, and inhaled the DE we were sprinkling about her pen to keep the flies at bay. Her poor lungs couldn't handle the irritation, and became inflamed. She needed extra help breathing until her lungs could heal enough to breathe without help. She is on a whole slue of meds for the next month including two antibiotics and some anti-inflammatories. She'll need a few check ups in the mean time to make sure she is progressing, and we will no longer be using DE in their pen. (They can however eat the DE if we mix it in with their wet food, like cottage cheese or yogurt, so it doesn't reach her lungs but still has the effect needed to keep the flies at bay.) She will probably always be prone to lung problems since the DE probably caused some scarring.

We have the doors open across the upstairs hall so the ducks can "Talk" to Norie so she isn't so lonely. She doesn't seem to mind too much. We're keeping her separate just incase she's contagious, and so the other ducks don't excite her too much. When she gets too excited, she wheezes a bit more. Once the wheezing goes down, we'll allow her to bath with another duck for a time, before letting her move back in the the other ducks. We're tempted to try using our webcams when we have time this coming week so they can see each other. Not sure how that will work, but we'll try. lol. We took some pictures of Norie in her temp house, so I'll post those later once they are uploaded to the computer.

Try to use one of those electronic bug traps. We have to many bug in our region that this one has become a must in our house and shop. It works quite well. It has a blue light that attracts the bugs with a suction fan below it. The fly goes to the light, gets sucked down, and trapped in a basket type vessel. That vessel gets closed up when you turn the machine off. You simply take the vessel outside, open it, and the bug take off. Some will die inside of the machine, but most will be still alive. I like this particular machine, because it does not zap or burn anything up and produces any kind of oder. Here is a link to Walmart who sells it. I'm sure you can buy at anywhere.
0004257820016_215X215.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us posted.
hugs.gif

I have used a bit of DE (ran out a couple of weeks ago), and have been cautious. I will be more so. I use it on an area that gets heavily splashed with their drinking water, so it wets up right away. I also made a fly trap that works pretty well, that I set behind the "veranda."

Thinking of you all - still sending prayers for speedy complete recovery.

So glad to hear she is home. Maybe you can use the vanilla tree method for fly repellent? Apparently some of the chicken owners figured out that flies do not like the vanilla car air freshners!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom