Normal Flock Size?

I started with two dozen for the two of us. Figured to share with two of our children, grown adults living in their own homes. That was 6 yrs ago come April 2014. We still have 5 of that original flock being now 3 Barred Plymouth Rock and 2 Black Australorpes. They still lay eggs now and then along with 5 others we now have that are some 8 months old. We have more than enough eggs for the two of us, but with the threat of higher food prices due to the extended drought out west, we are adding 3 or 4 more. We will supplement our afternoon or evening meals with egg salad and boiled eggs so as to keep our grocery costs down a bit.

We have a 1900 sq ft run, 6 ft steel mesh welded wire fence set in concrete with a fence charger on it. It is covered by 2" square netting overhead. We have never suffered a loss to any predator since getting all of it up. Hawks got 4 before that netting was up.

You need to calculate flock losses because you will have them by doing free-range. Only way to prevent that is to do their entire range area like we did. That is how the pros do it. I have seen videos of their operations and they spend a good deal of resources on netting overhead. Nothing else works for airborne predators in my experience being as I first experimented with silver streamers criss-crossing the run. Only netting stopped the killing in my case.

If you have the space, I would advise doing it like we did rather than running them on your whole property. Ours are like pets anyway and if we gave them the run of the place they would roost on our porches and poop there
sickbyc.gif
while waiting for us to bring treats.
lol.png
Down side is that they will destroy all greenery inside of their run unless it is a lot bigger than ours is.
hu.gif
You will have to keep future erosion possibilities in mind as you plan the thing.
old.gif

Two people in a setting like ours would have all of the eggs they would want and some to give away with only 10 layers. If you go that route, be sure to allow for later cross fencing of the place so as to introduce youngsters to your flock as those age. Unprotected youngsters will be killed by the older birds.
hide.gif
If you go total free range, do calculate for flock losses.
hit.gif

Good luck with your endeavor.
cool.png

Anything else to add you ask? For sure! How much free time do you have on your hands? Chickens can be very addictive and time consuming. Grandma always said newborns have to creep before they can walk. Much to be said about that when you have twins or quadruplets! The more you have, the greater the burden can be. Baby steps!

I started with 12. The following year I got 16 more. Then chicken math really got me! Now I have about 35 layers with a few roosters. Then I have 5 breeding pens totalling about 25. Last summer the layers free ranged all summer until the hawks came out. I have chicks brooding in the house too.

I started with 32, actually received 34 when the order came in. This will be my first flock of my own, however I was raised in a household were we raised several types of livestock animals including chickens. I only plan to keep 10 to 15 hens for regular laying, the rest will be meat birds. I have not decided how many roo's I am going to keep but I will probably stick with just one since I can not free range.

Started with 3, and then 2 ended up being roosters. So my one hen has been by herself since about a month or two before she started laying. She is happy and content. Gets a couple hours each evening to roam around the fenced back yard. But other than that, she stays in her coop happily and lays an egg each day.

I have between 4 & 6 -- live in the suburban country. They free roam in a fenced in acre during the day. Seems like always have disease or attacks that keep me from having more than 6! Start big!

Back
Top Bottom