North Carolina

PRETTY BIRDS SOS --I AGREE ABT IDEAL-I EVEN ORDERED SOME LAST YR FROM CACKLE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH
THEM TO I ONLY HAVE PQ BIRDS ANYWAY- QUIT MCMURRY LONG AGO
old.gif

Did the smokers at the auction bother anyone? I hate to complain, and I love going to the auction, but having the doors shut and people on all sides smoking makes my face burn inside (literally). Then when I leave, I can smell cigarettes in my hair and on my clothes...

I wish they would be more considerate of the non-smoking chicken lovers! Since I'm rarely around anyone who smokes anymore, it really affects me for a few days.

Anyhow, vfem, let me know if you want to do some flower bulb/chicken (or something else) swapping! This is my first year in the house, so I'm really trying to establish a pretty yard on a budget!

Hey Ally... another non smoker here. My mother smokes and is banned to do it outside, she does ,as she also does not want the house smelling and she does not let the kids around when she smoke. Now I wish she would just quit.

Anyway... I always try to sit up front. But yes it does get stinky sometimes.
I am surprised smoking is even allowed in there.
idunno.gif
Doesn't seem like smoking is allowed in most places anymore.
A little better in the warmer months, since the doors are open and fans running.

good morning everyone :frow i was p at the crack of dawn with the beautiful symphony of 5 rooster crowing which by summer should be 9 roosters crowing
hide.gif
at least my neighbors are far away. i have a quick ? the n im off to work! what is the best broody duck? and yes beth and miss L i know muscovies but ideal doesnt have them. im looking at blue swedish, B and W magpie, rouen, or cayuga which of these is most likely to brood!?

NH- glad you are back :frow

i went with ideal for my first chicks and looking at most my orpingtons you wouldn't even guess that they are hatchery birds, i will always go with ideal!

hope everyone has a good day today, its supposed to warm up to 52 here :fl

Ok, so I'll take this moment to apologize for being a smoker... on and off for years... but I seem to lose that battle.

Honestly though, if there wasn't smoking allowed, I just don't. However... one starts it and chain starts. Its insane how it makes you want one... even if you don't want one!
tongue.gif

Anyways, Ally it will be end of Feb before I have room for another bird. I have to flip flop coops here soon.

And I'll be clearing out my Japanese Bantams soon. I have 2 18 month old hens, 1 10 month old pullet and 1 10 month old roo. All Birchen color.

That's ok, keep me in mind!

I grew up with parents smoking in the house..The doctors used to get all over my parents because I have asthma. Smoking is a personal choice, but I hate it when I have to decide whether to inhale smoke and be somewhere or not be able to go enjoy myself at all..I know it's a hard, hard thing to give up. With my lack of willpower, it's a good thing I never started in the first place or I'd be in trouble..

I have been at the auction in the summer and it isn't nearly as bad with the doors open, but we ended up leaving early because of it on Sunday.

Okay, once again I must apologize to my chickens.
barnie.gif
I went out this morning to let them out and what do you think I find?? TEN, yes that's right, TEN beautiful eggs scattered in nesting boxes. I suppose it IS my fault because I was in a hurry last night and just shut the coop up without checking for eggs. At least 5 are fresh (still warm) today, so I think that's not too bad considering I am down to 9 girls that are capable of laying. I sure wish they would make up their minds!!
lau.gif
I can hardly believe that in a few months my G&A Orps will be a YEAR OLD!! Time sure has flown!!

Okay Bhep & Miss Lydia...I need ducks, what is a good dual purpose duck?? Are they processed just like chickens??
gig.gif
DH and I will probably "chicken out" on processing them like we did with our current roos. Hmm...maybe I'll just have to invite DoubleT over for a opossum shooting/chicken processing lesson?!? Haha. Oh, and BHep - thank you again for teaching me the signs of the "dance"...I was able to show DH and he thought it was "cool". Now I occasionally glance out and see Jeremy "dancing" around a lady...or TWO...or more - PIMP!!

Ally - thanks for the heads up on the smokers at the WCA. I think it's rare for a place open to the public to actually allow smoking anymore, seems like every place has it banned. Then again, you usually have to walk through all those banned people to get into the doors of the building. I think to each his own, but it does bug me when I don't smoke and it seems to always find me. LOL. I grew up around smokers, so I do try to be understanding of both sides (as I am sure you are...it's fine if they do it, just don't do it next to me...lol) but it gets harder and harder the older I get. I try to be super protective over the little one...guess that's the "curse" of being a mommy, right?!? That being said, being pregnant with asthma, I don't think I will venture out to meet you all at the WCA until the weather turns a bit warmer....sorry, but it's hard enough to breath with this monstrosity creeping in on my lung space! Feel free to take a drive down the road and visit us for some clean country air...although there are wild pigs behind us in the woods...so it can smell rather "unclean" at times too!!
lau.gif

Off to figure out what to do with a bunch of apples that I forgot about and now are starting to get a little....mushy. VFem - Ideas for me?? lol Apple crisp maybe or applesauce?? Then on to make pineapple upside-down cake for the DH!! One good thing about walking all around Florida and chasing a wee one...I actually LOST weight while on vacation...I suppose that's not a good thing for a pregnant lady, but it sure makes THIS lady happy to see the scale get smaller....especially since it typically gets larger every week!! Give me a day or two back home eating "normal" food and I am sure I will be right back where I was. HAHA
th.gif

vfem, my girls graciously gave you 2 big eggs this morning. One is a new one though, I can't tell if I'm getting them from my game hen that I finally caught and cooped up or if one of the RIR have started laying....

NH, I'll be happy to come out and give you a rooster processing lesson. Its not as hard as you would think. ;)

Is anyone interested in buying/trading a trio of LF Dark Cornish? They are 10 weeks old and I'm not going to have room for them.

NH, I used to forget all the time... but it sure made for a full nest box every time I finally collected! LOL

Alex, I'm so excited my mouth is watering! lol
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom