North Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ruachicken1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thank you. How often do you clip their wings?

2. LukesCityHens

LukesCityHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Fayetteville
    the elderly lady I rent from came by a month or so ago and dug up about 40lbs of sweet potatoes I had no idea were even in the ground!?!?

Looks like it's fixin' to storm here so it's home ASAP to get everyone back in their pens!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    here ya go.
    http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

you only have to clip 1 time a year right after they finish molting in the fall. except when they get fully feathered when youngsters, I think my youngest 4 I clipped at about 5 months old.

I clipped them before they even had a chance to taste the freedom of flight. didn't want to loose them.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thank you that's a big help!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    your very welcome.

6. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    I have lots of questions as I am reading and getting ready for our chicks to arrive (not till April 23). I begged my husband to make me a brooder, so that is almost done. Next we will be making 2 coops. He is going to keep his egg layers on the part of the property that is not enclosed with out privacy fence, but does has a small metal flimsy like fence around the property. I want to keep my silkies and my sons White Crested Black Polish chicks in a seperate coop where I know they will be safer. He is going to build my a coop that will have enclosed run so they can run around while I am gone and when I am home I will let them have free range.

Question One:

What is a good size, but not to heavy of a price tag for the coop to say house up to 10 chicks?

Question Two:

Will it be okay to have my silkie bantams housed with my sons std size WCBP (pullets)? I have been thinking about changing our order and making his WCBP to the bantam size, but I can only get straight run and he diffently wants a female "because it looks like its brain is on the outside". I will have 3 silkies(straight run) and 1 sultan (straight run) plus our "special " chick (maybe).

Question Three:

Where can I buy diatomaceous earth? I forget to ask my local feed store, but I thought I would shoot the question out and see what pops out.

Question Four:

I am getting the chicks vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis. I was thinking about still buying the medicated starter chick food. If I did would it be harmful since they have received their vaccines or would it double up on health saftey for the chicks?

Okay that is is for now, but I have a lots of other questions roaming around in my head.
    ReplyQuote Multi

7. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    sorry did not mean to double post

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I practically never blame being left handed for my inabilities, I just blame everything being made for right handers. LOL actually everyone else tries to say things are harder or easier because I'm a lefty...I just blame everything else - right handed scissors, a peeling blade thats curved for a right hander etc etc So I buy the "its the machine's fault" excuse [​IMG]

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

10. Coop Scoop Boogie

Coop Scoop Boogie Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow.....really????? 6 buildable acres in Linden? didn't think there was many of those left [​IMG]

where in Linden did you find this great deal????? looking for some too [​IMG]

So sorry for your lose Green [​IMG]

Cute Cute Cute Beth....now quit showing them to RF [​IMG]

not such a great day here either........seems my mare managed to injure her tendon in the foreleg today........
    it's hot and swollen but does not appear to be bowed [​IMG]
    vet coming tomorrow to drain the wallet and give me the bad news on her leg....... [​IMG]
    now what am I going to do for PT for me and hoping she will recover? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by