North Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ruachicken1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Can I use any kind of sand in my coop or is there a certain quality that I need to find?

2. MaryRuthLangdon

MaryRuthLangdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you... I just love their little fluffy butts.

So sorry for your loss... they were beautiful girls. [​IMG]

Did you say... Mille Fleur Bantam Orps?? & Lavender Bantam Ameraucanas??
    ( I will be PM'ing you )

Sooooo cute... I love duckies!!!!!

3. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    Thank everyone so much for your kind words. I didn't get home very early due to having to do an emergency bone scan on a horse at work, but I did have enough time to get some chicken wire in place along most the the back fence along the line of 6 pens and tack it in place until tomorrow. I should be able to leave work at noon to get to the store to get more materials and finish the job.

Baby horse?

Too too cute along with all the little ducklings....can not have ducks...

I am glad I didn't sell the frizzle pullets this weekend will be keeping both a blue and a splash. I have a few more eggs in the bator and might have some frizzles to sell in a few weeks too.

[​IMG] for your mare.

4. CelesteG

CelesteG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Alamance County, NC
    holy crap, don't leave this forum for a few hours - I can't keep up so......

To those who have losses - I am so sorry - I don't know what I would do if I lost one of mine - I love them all :(

I LOVE the baby goats but can't have one so I will LOVE the baby duckies even more and now I want some of those too.

Important question.....if it rains on March 9 - will the flock swap still happen? Is anybody bringing baby ducks???

OH - one of my questionable sexed Silkies crowed twice this morning - can I go ahead and color this one a roo?

Hi everybody else :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. buttercup0884

buttercup0884 The Farm Girl at Twilight

Apr 30, 2011
    Ararat

i honestly would opt not to get the coccidiosis vaccine and just use the medicated feed...and there have been several people lately talking about their chicks actually getting mareks from the vaccine and so you might want to do a search and see what others are saying.

I got my DE at tractor supply

and your polish and silkies should be fine together...both of them with the crests cant really see one another lol...( i have both and they get along great)

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I read somewhere that feeding medicated feed will make the mareks vacc. not work, this was a few years ago. So I could be remembering wrong. I fed medicated chick feed last year and that was my first year ever having cocci. My dad read that if you feed non medicated chick feed and take outside dirt and give it to them in a bowl from day one, they should build up a resistance. (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG DAD)

7. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    So sorry for the losses and setbacks! Wishing you safe harbors and smooth sailing! I don't care how long you work with animals, losing one never ever gets easy. [​IMG]

We just called around to the landscape places and had them deliver a big pile...sorry I can't remember how much it was exactly. Not too bad in price, tho, and we are still using it. I do remember that you don't want it to be too fine--just regular landscape sand, I believe. Kitty litter scoops are a dollar at Walmart. [​IMG] Best of luck with this!

8. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    my entire yard is sand you could come here and shovel some[​IMG] sure does make growing things a pita

9. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will stick with non medicated chuck starter. I am super excited about being a mommy again. My sin is counting down the days. Doing all my online reading I have found a few places about an hour or two that have the.different breeds that I like, my son likes, and my husband limes. If we need to build our flock again now I know I have more options. Only thing is we would have to go to a couple of places.

We are going to a local flock swap Saturday to check things out. Going to be fun. Also what is WCA and where is it? I am in Wilmington/ Leland, but sounds Luke fun.

10. NewHomesteader2010

NewHomesteader2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Johnston County, NC
    Good Morning everyone! Boy it is HOT already this morning. I cannot believe it is March 1st and I had the whole house open last night!! I even made sure I kept the windows and doors to the coop open because it was warm...I think this is giving us a taste of what we can expect this summer...hot & sticky!! These are NOT my favorite combinations, especially with 2.5 weeks to go until full term (5 weeks until the "official" due date...and 3 weeks and 5 days until I am "required" to go by a certain BYC'er...LOL)!! Oye!!

Nothing new on the chicken front to report. All boys & girls are doing well and I'm STILL waiting for one to go broody...nothing yet!! I do have a question though...when do chickens usually go through their first molt? My Orps are reaching the 1 year mark and I didn't know if they would molt in the summer or wait until fall. Also, those of you who raise birds just for meat...DH has been thinking he would like to raise and stock our freezer for this winter (including a turkey or two)...Any suggestions/advice?? What is your favorite "natural" meat bird (meaning I know the Cornish X is a typical meat bird, but before they were "created" what was used?). Is it hard to raise them? How long do they grow for? Would you suggest ordering from a hatchery, if so, which one? Sorry so many questions, figured I should find out and break it down for DH before making any decisions.

Off to do more sewing this morning...attempting to make a circle skirt for the wee one without a pattern...and boy am I mathematically challenged!! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by