North Carolina

Do you want to know how crazy our chickens are?
D.gif
Well here is the best example. DH built them a coop (well more just a box that could be closed) to sleep in when they were younger. For the first week after we got it completed we put them in the coop every night and locked them up. We went on vacation about a week after we built the coop and since their coop is in an enclosed, covered run we just decided to let them go in the coop on there on if they were going to use it. Well those birds roost on top of the coop. Now the hens have decided that the coop is the perfect giant nest to lay in. DH noticed one of the RIRs kept going in there cackling and pacing. So he added the rest of the pine bedding we had into it. We went out there later and there was a little nest made in the pine needles and a perfect brown egg in it. The EE hen who layed yesterday in the nest box also decided to use that nest. I guess they have decided that is a better nest than the nest boxes we have.
hu.gif
I guess we will see if they all decided to lay in there or if some of them use the actual nest boxes. We are up to 2 of 6 hens laying now!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Evening folks.......

hope everyone had a good day and got lots done.

I hate working all day as I can't get much done at home until weekends
and then it's a huge pile of things to do. I'm loving the extra daylight in the evening.....
it helps on getting some things done, but I agree with the lose of sleep........
wish the powers that be would just leave it at DST all the time.

Everyone has such pretty birds....thanks for sharing......I love all the pics
love.gif

Good morning everyone! Happy monday! Hope everyone is adjusting to dst ok...
tongue.png

Been a while since I was on here last, had some great and not-so-great changes these last couple weeks. Too much all at once for me, really. We traded in a vehicle for a better one, I gave in to the cute EE chicks at tsc (shhh....dont tell dh... They currently blend in with the ones I have in the brooder) and we started on our veggie gardens, and got my greens and onion sets planted, yay! The not so great.... My redbone coonhound that dh and I have had since before we were married passed suddenly this past tuesday morning.... He developed bloat in his stomach and it rotated on itself. I had him at the vet (alone)and had to deal with it all myself. That was the most heart-breaking experience EVER.
sad.png

For those who buy/sell at the wca: do you need the poultry license to bring birds? Is it worth the trip (maybe 45 mins to hour for me) for about 40 chicks? I have ees hatching on saturday, and craigslist isn't too quick on the turn over for chicks here lately.
Anyone raise turkeys? I want to raise a few for thanksgiving and christmas. Any tips/experiences welcome.
smile.png

In my opinion, you should put 4-5 chicks per box. This will bring you more money. The boxes with 10 plus chicks bring less per chick. I sell mine..... there 4-5 chicks per box and average $3 per chick. I am also 45 minutes away. The auction itself is an experience and slightly addicting.
lol.png

Last edited:
Not been to that auction, but the one up the road from me (Mount Airy Stockyard), you do not need a license. You just need your ID (drivers license) the first time you sell and every time you want a number for bidding.

Last edited:
I have done a whole bunch of nothing and then some.
lau.gif

I did wrap up 7 boxes of eggs to ship out tomorrow....for the Easter Hatch along.
jumpy.gif

Waiting to hear form Mary ...what did we miss...what did you come home with?
Hmm.. let's see.. WCA had plastic barrels, waterers, feeders, a huge roll of fencing, a bunch of animal cages and fancy bird cages... one tiny billy goat, several male pheasants ( red gold & yellow gold ).. they said pharoh quail, but I swear it was bob white quail... a few male peacocks ( one was pied, absolutely beautiful )... they sold a huge pot-bellied pig ( that was outside in a trailer... trailer went with it ), Some Parakeets, Finches, and a Cockatiel.
Eggs... Eggs... & more EGGGSSS! Bunches of chicks and baby ducks and rabbits. Lots of Bantams this weekend, too. We left at about 6:30 and they still had 100+ boxes left to sell.

I only bought one Mille Fleur D'uccle Rooster. I was quite proud of myself.
DH tells me before we left home... "Let's just sell what we are taking and not bring anything home." Then He buys 4 game roosters.... PFFFTTT!

isn't she pretty?

She is pretty.

Good Tuesday morning everyone!!

It's suppose to rain all day today with some pretty nasty thunderstorms, so I hope everyone stays dry out there and manages to avoid the lakes & streams & puddles that form when we get rain lately! On a positive note...the rest of the week, including the weekend APPEARS to be really nice!! Enjoy your day everyone!!
big_smile.png

Good Morning !

Welcome to the new folks.
frow.gif

Thanks Mary for the WCA update. I will see you there next Sun. (with eggs) and in a few weeks a "surprise". May start with the letter "P".
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom