North Carolina

welcome-byc.gif
to all new flockers.

congrats on eggs and chicks everyone.

Vfem congrats on the pips, but those marans eggs came from Coop Scoop
big_smile.png

Vfem.......congrats on the pips..........you do know those are black copper marans..........
next year I should have blue copper marans.

Of course I can do you up a few olive eggs and blue eggs to get that color basket
wink.png

Make a big coop for the DH to build
gig.gif

Evening folks and welcome to all the new folks
frow.gif

Hope everyone had a productive day......very little rain here today

figures as we really do need some.....guess it means the weekend will be a washout
gig.gif

Was a beautiful day here today.

Very cute little chicks! and WOOHOO for pips!!

So, DH bought be a nice BB gun this last weekend for target practice and to try to scare off the guinnies... I got my chance today. Got one right in the rump! It jumped 4ft off the ground, LOL, let out a shreik and both took off running. What are the chances they will be dumb enough to come back?? I don't want to kill one but they get 3 strikes, on the 3rd one I am loading my BB gun with a hollow point pellet and protecting my flock. It was pretty bad today, one was on top of the run while the other was plucking tail feathers off my roo and the 2 hens that hadn't run into the coop. Why are those birds so mean??

Your silkies should warm up to you with time--though I guess hatchery chicks it's a little harder to say. Ours like to be petted a lot, and talked to. They warm up to treats if they see the other birds eating them but haven't been as quick to grab the goodies as our other birds. Sweet pics, and good luck!

Thank you. They're adorable. It's gonna be hard to decide who to get rid of. Any advice on taming Silkie chicks? They won't eat treats and they refuse to eat from my hand...
hu.gif
On the other hand, my RIRs are the sweetest things and are always wanting on my lap and will try to eat almost anything in my hand. Including my phone lol

Was a beautiful day here today.

Very cute little chicks! and WOOHOO for pips!!

So, DH bought be a nice BB gun this last weekend for target practice and to try to scare off the guinnies... I got my chance today. Got one right in the rump! It jumped 4ft off the ground, LOL, let out a shreik and both took off running. What are the chances they will be dumb enough to come back?? I don't want to kill one but they get 3 strikes, on the 3rd one I am loading my BB gun with a hollow point pellet and protecting my flock. It was pretty bad today, one was on top of the run while the other was plucking tail feathers off my roo and the 2 hens that hadn't run into the coop. Why are those birds so mean??

Sorry, just want to make sure I am understanding this right...you are shooting someone else's guinea? Do they know their birds are bothering your chickens? They might be able to keep them cooped for awhile and break their habit of heading to your place. Guineas tend to follow patterns through the day, so sometimes giving them a chance to establish a new pattern helps. As an alternate encouragement to scram, you might try spraying them with water. Ours don't like that, and guineas do learn and adjust their behavior based on what they've learned. Good luck!

OK... so I have 1 finally hatch!

(Thank you Coop Scoop... RF gave them to me to eat, then a silkie went broody, so I risked that they may hatch! Happy shock!)

Funny thing though, the one that hatched was the 4th egg in the picture with no pip at the time I posted. So I'm worried about the one's that pipped. They may not make it. :( But with these 80 degree days and the warm nights, I can still hope.

(Thank you Coop Scoop... RF gave them to me to eat, then a silkie went broody, so I risked that they may hatch! Happy shock!)

Funny thing though, the one that hatched was the 4th egg in the picture with no pip at the time I posted. So I'm worried about the one's that pipped. They may not make it. :( But with these 80 degree days and the warm nights, I can still hope.

Cute ! Don't over worry.... maybe the pip was underneath.
lol.png

OK........DH has informed me that the eggs he handed me were the mix eating eggs pen that could be from a black copper Maran or blue Ameracana or blue Frizzle roo over maran hens..........oooops. I also have Ameracana hens in there and have since moved the marans out so all I get now will be blue eggers and hopefully frizzled.

Hope they are all hens for you and you now have olive eggers
big_smile.png

Last edited:
OK........DH has informed me that the eggs he handed me were the mix eating eggs pen that could be from a black copper Maran or blue Ameracana or blue Frizzle roo over maran hens..........oooops. I also have Ameracana hens in there and have since moved the marans out so all I get now will be blue eggers and hopefully frizzled.

Hope they are all hens for you and you now have olive eggers
big_smile.png

Frizzled Olive Eggers..
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom