North Carolina

I feel the need to apologize for my whine-fest this morning. I should not have vented here. However, I do thank you for the sympathy. I needed some. Jake and I will hang out with chickens this weekend until we feel better, and then begin again. Chickens are a great stress reliever. Too bad I have another week to go on my incubator!

And I'll bake another cake on Sunday to bring to work on Monday.
droolin.gif
Do not feel bad about venting here, we all do it, and we are all friends and friends support eachother! Hope you and Jake feel better.

I was curious if anyone has had experience with bantam sultans? I ordered one in my batch with my 3 silkies but I was wondering maybe I should change to another silkies. I read what a pet friendly breed they were so I picked one but now maybe think I should just get all silkies. Any words of wisdom?

I had two hens that I got as adults. They weren't the friendliest, but where easy enough. Maybe with you getting yours as a chick, it will be friendlier. I put mine in with the polish and had no problems. So it should be alright with the silkies.

I had two hens that I got as adults. They weren't the friendliest, but where easy enough. Maybe with you getting yours as a chick, it will be friendlier. I put mine in with the polish and had no problems. So it should be alright with the silkies.

Thanks. Its funny mine and my son's coop will have my 3 silkies, his 2 polish, and the one sultan. Well that's the plan.

Can we back this week up and start over?

Yesterday I made a lovely chocolate cream cheese pound cake to take to work today. I dropped it on the way out the door. Then my service dog, Jake, refused to get in the car for the first time ever. We had a scary incident Tuesday night, where he got scared by a Hummer in the Walmart parking lot and I ended up taking a hard fall. (Several people came to see the commotion, looked at me lying on the ground...then walked off. One angel lady finally helped me.) Not only am I beat up and sore from the fall, but my leg brace is now bent. and I may have problems with Jake stemming from Tuesday night.

I just want to back up a few days, please and get a do-over.

That is all. Whine-fest is now over.

Are you flippin' kidding me!? What is wrong with people. That makes me just so sad. :( I wouldn't have hesitated, not everyone is an idiot... though I'm guessing most idiots frequent Walmart. Grrrr.... Sorry, really I'm happy to vent with you!!!

Bhep, you wouldn't happen to have any decent breeder quality silkie roos? Splash or White or whatever? I'm still interested, but now I have a friend who wants one too. She' getting rid of her hatchery roos and want something to throw her some prettier babies. I'd have to drive him out to wilmington for her.

And I just had to say those chicks are doing AMAZING! I love them! So darn sweet and I guess because I checked on them constantly as they hatched, they are completely docile for me. Lets me pick them up and pet them and bring them treats, even mama lets me touch them. Though mama has been letting me do it for years since I always mess with her babies. I was even thinking of coming up to the WCA this weekend, but I don't know if I can until Saturday. I may have to help a friend out on Sunday because of the possible rain on Saturday and that will throw that off for me. We'll see. Didn't know if anyone else was going?

6 eggs today! My hens must be happy, LOL, one egg from each!

I need a couple 2... 4 hens.... Yes, chicken math at work, I have 4 dozen eggs in the fridge, 4 on the counter collecting for hatching, 6 in the collection basket, and somehow I think I need more chickens *shrugs*, how does that happen?

6 eggs today! My hens must be happy, LOL, one egg from each!
I need a couple 2... 4 hens.... Yes, chicken math at work, I have 4 dozen eggs in the fridge, 4 on the counter collecting for hatching, 6 in the collection basket, and somehow I think I need more chickens *shrugs*, how does that happen?

Welcome to my world! It started as "JUST 2" then "Just 4" ...now its 16!

I have 4 dz eggs in the fridge between the chickens and ducks. I found 1 duck egg this morning, but haven't even checked the coops yet today! hahaha

So since it is looking semi hard to find laying hens in the breeds I want nearby. I have been considering getting a few chicks to grow out. Chicks would be cheaper and easier to get anyways. I have a couple problems though. DH does not want to keep chicks inside right now so I think that counts out day old chicks. If I got some chicks that were 3-4 weeks old could they go out in the coop with the adults? I know we would have to seperate them some and let the adults get used to them before turning them lose with them. So would it be best to find some older chicks or find adult hens? I could probably get by with getting some younger hens too that aren't laying yet.

What kind of chicks are you looking for? I have eggs due to hatch next week. In the incubator I have NN, EE, Ancona, and Minorca (the roo is EE, so there is a chance for blue, green or olive egg layers).

What kind of chicks are you looking for? I have eggs due to hatch next week. In the incubator I have NN, EE, Ancona, and Minorca (the roo is EE, so there is a chance for blue, green or olive egg layers).

LF that are not brown or red!
lol.png
Our flock is predominately brown/red in color and it is quite boring. Plus we have 2 roosters to 6 hens so our ratio needs to get balanced. I would love a NN just for the different look! What color eggs do they lay? I would be fine with more EEs as long as they were different colors that what we have, I have already decided there will be no more chipmunk colored EE chicks here. I don't know about the Ancona or Minorca breeds I will have to look them up. I just don't know how well chicks would integrate into our adult flock. My kids definately want chicks! My ODS asked if there was a chick in the first egg we got! I wish I could find some Marans so I could have some pretty chocolate eggs!
ETA: You could end up with NN EEs! I love that idea!
love.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to my world! It started as "JUST 2" then "Just 4" ...now its 16!

I have 4 dz eggs in the fridge between the chickens and ducks. I found 1 duck egg this morning, but haven't even checked the coops yet today! hahaha

I think you need a few more Shannon, I have 20 DOZEN in the fridge right now and will have at least 2 or 3 more dozen before days end.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom