North Carolina

Well GOOD MORNING ALL! It's been awhile since I logged on I guess. Maybe last weekend?!

Have had a super busy week. Nothing like life to suck up all the time I would have liked to relax and come chat. :p

So I let the new ducky out of the pen last week after we processed the meat birds. She didn't wonder far and I had to put her right back in the pen. My male has been chasing her constantly and I found her all bloody from how aggressive he's been. I put her back in the pen the night before last, let her out yesterday morning to go wonder on the pond for the day and she didn't come back. :( I looked out on the pond for her, but with all the reeds growing, its like a pond forest and you can't see anyways. For right now I can just cross my fingers she comes back sometime today or tonight.

OK, y'all, here's what I've got for sale, and I'm in a deal-making mood! (For y'all
wink.png
)

I've got a bunch of cutie-pie Guinea Keets! I've got a bunch of cutie-pie Barred Rock Chicks! Anybody interested? I'm in Liberty, near Burlington.

OK, before reading these responses, I went to Tractor Supply and found "Poultry and Garden Dust" in the chicken section. It describes dusting the birds and the coop and using it for vegetable gardens, but it isn't called "Sevin". I also saw DE, but didn't buy any. We're going to trap everyone tomorrow morning and dust them...Wish us luck, neither of us have ever done this. I saw a method on youtube of gently holding the chicken by the feet, then pouring the powder on and ruffling it around in their feathers...Seem ok? I got all new bedding. I'm going to shopvac all the old bedding out, then dust and add new bedding on top.

Traumatic stuff going on with my two broodies:

The two broodies with the chicks came out of the nest yesterday. When I came home, one of the chicks had a leg missing! I was hysterical...Thank goodness it died shortly after and didn't suffer.
hit.gif

At dusk, the barred rock just went upstairs into the coop to sleep, just leaving the chicks outside in the bottom run alone! Of her 4, 2 died, 1 made it to the other hen and I have 1 under heat in my sunroom....Whew...incubating is not this stressful!

At least the black hen has 7 healthy chicks and seems to be doing a good job with them.

Busy day so far! Did chores at first light, then drove up to Four Oaks to pick up another lamb (still need at least three more!) Got home just as my son, his girlfriend and his dog got there from Boone. Those two college kids then proceeded to suck down all but four slices in a pound of bacon, a three egg omelet apiece, with cheese, peppers, onions and mushrooms, and half a batch of crepes, plus they hit the cookie jar. And a half gallon of milk has vanished, too. And the tea pitcher is empty. And I have a sink full of dishes.
ep.gif

I had forgotten how much they can eat.
hide.gif
They were here less than two hours before they hit the road again, heading to Georgia to visit the grandparents.

And Joe wants to take back every egg I have available, as he won't eat store-bought eggs. My girls aren't laying well, but I told him I'd save everything I have for him to take back.

I lost another hen yesterday. I'm thinking after the mild winter that I have a worm problem. So I'd like to know what you are using in what dosage and how effective it is currently.

As far as mites go, I use Sevin. I don't use it in my garden where bees would go, but the bees don't normally try to get pollen and nectar from my chickens, so they should be safe. I pour the Sevin into an old sock, tie it shut, and use it to pat the birds down and get it right where I want it, without a lot of loss or getting it where I don't want it.

Busy day so far! Did chores at first light, then drove up to Four Oaks to pick up another lamb (still need at least three more!) Got home just as my son, his girlfriend and his dog got there from Boone. Those two college kids then proceeded to suck down all but four slices in a pound of bacon, a three egg omelet apiece, with cheese, peppers, onions and mushrooms, and half a batch of crepes, plus they hit the cookie jar. And a half gallon of milk has vanished, too. And the tea pitcher is empty. And I have a sink full of dishes.
ep.gif

I had forgotten how much they can eat.
hide.gif
They were here less than two hours before they hit the road again, heading to Georgia to visit the grandparents.

And Joe wants to take back every egg I have available, as he won't eat store-bought eggs. My girls aren't laying well, but I told him I'd save everything I have for him to take back.

I lost another hen yesterday. I'm thinking after the mild winter that I have a worm problem. So I'd like to know what you are using in what dosage and how effective it is currently.

As far as mites go, I use Sevin. I don't use it in my garden where bees would go, but the bees don't normally try to get pollen and nectar from my chickens, so they should be safe. I pour the Sevin into an old sock, tie it shut, and use it to pat the birds down and get it right where I want it, without a lot of loss or getting it where I don't want it.
So sorry you lost a hen. I hope it wasn't one you just got.
We use Valbazen to worm the birds but not the pigeons.

Allison.... poultry dust is fine. You can buy Sevin at Walmart, Lowes...where ever. Sorry about your chicks. You need a broody box/area. A dog kennel works great. Helps keep babies with mama and away from the other mean hens & roosters.

Meg...Sorry you lost another. I second the Valbazen. Given orally....2nd dose 10 days later BUT NO EGGS for 24 days. 14 day withdrawal per dose.

Meredith.... run fresh boiled eggs under cold water, it helps.....sort off.

Back
Top Bottom