North Carolina

Someone posted in here recently a link to a thread about fermented feed.
I wanted to learn more about it and can't find the link.
I tried typing it in the search bar, but got like 2,000 threads.

Thanks!

**NEVERMIND** I didn't realize I could search the actual thread, thought I had to search the whole site.
I found it, thanks BHep!
I have read the entire two largest threads on it if you have any questions, also have been doing it for a couple months.

I have read the entire two largest threads on it if you have any questions, also have been doing it for a couple months.

I've been making ff for my flock since last Oct. Won't ever go back to dry feed again.
smile.png

I talked to my grandma who had chickens the whole time she was growing up, about fermenting feed. She told me not to do it unless I wanted drunk chickens, cause you basically made alcohol when you fermented the feed.... Any ideas on this one?

I talked to my grandma who had chickens the whole time she was growing up, about fermenting feed. She told me not to do it unless I wanted drunk chickens, cause you basically made alcohol when you fermented the feed.... Any ideas on this one?
It is not fermenting to alcohol. It is a different kind of fermentation. I think it is called lacto-fermentation.
Below is an answer from a fermented feed thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

I have now read so much about ff and definitely want to feed it to my chickens. but my dh made me nervous about it saying it smells too much like alcohol! I know some threads say it is supposed to have a beer smell, and neither one of us has ever eaten "fermented food" so I don't know if its rite. I used scratch, water and a little bit of ACV,2 days later it had the film on the top and as I stirred it again my dh said "I cant give that to my girls it is moonshine"!!! I didn't think it smelled too bad but I was nervous, I don't have that good of a smeller, but it did have the beer smell is that rite??
fl.gif

It's fine. The bacillus grown by the ACV will consume sugar alcohol and all is well. I haven't had a drunk chicken yet and all their livers look fine....
wink.png

So you just soak it in distilled water for a few days and feed it to them?
Do you leave food out to be eaten whenever or do you guys feed at certain times? If you just feed at certain times how do you know how much you need per bird?
Also are you using like store bought crumble or a mix of seeds?

Thanks!

It is not fermenting to alcohol. It is a different kind of fermentation. I think it is called lacto-fermentation.
Below is an answer from a fermented feed thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

It's fine. The bacillus grown by the ACV will consume sugar alcohol and all is well. I haven't had a drunk chicken yet and all their livers look fine....
wink.png
X2...

I have VERY happy, healthy chickens. Not a drunk in sight.
lol.png

I add all sorts of things to my FF ...basically anything from left over bird seeds to left over human food.. The birds go nut over it.

X2...

I have VERY happy, healthy chickens. Not a drunk in sight.
lol.png

I add all sorts of things to my FF ...basically anything from left over bird seeds to left over human food.. The birds go nut over it.

Is this the only feed you give them (besides like free ranging) or do you still need to give other supplements as well?
Do you just leave it out all day, fill it back up when empty?
I am realizing I may have been feeding my chickens all wrong-- I fill the hanging feeder, leave it out all day, and whenver it gets low fill it back up to the top. The fermented feed seems like it would have to be done in small batches?

Is this the only feed you give them (besides like free ranging) or do you still need to give other supplements as well?
Do you just leave it out all day, fill it back up when empty?
I am realizing I may have been feeding my chickens all wrong-- I fill the hanging feeder, leave it out all day, and whenver it gets low fill it back up to the top. The fermented feed seems like it would have to be done in small batches?
I feed FF in the AM only. Leave it until it is gone. I make a small batch every day. I use 5 gallon pail. All my birds have feeders with dry feed at all times. I have to fill them every other day or two.
I also bring out treats later in the afternoon... scratch, kitchen or garden scraps etc. If we are weeding the gardens or cutting back..all trimmings head over the fence also, they will eat what they like the rest gets raked up and tossed in the compost pile.

And you ARE feeding your birds correctly....Free feed should be out at all times. The birds can eat when and how much they want. Mine eat most in the morning....then scratch around or sleep the rest of the day.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom