North Carolina

Hey NC'ers! I'm new to the chicken scene and looking to increase my braintrust. I welcome any and all suggestions! I currently have 6 white leghorn babies hanging out in a Rubbermaid trunk until it warms up enough to go out in the coop. How warm does it have to be? They're losing their down and growing real feathers (looking pretty scraggly!), but escaping their current home pretty regularly. I do have a small thermostatically controlled heater I can put in the coop, but I'm afraid of it getting too warm. We're in Middlesex (between Zebulon and Wilson), so if you're local give me a shout!

Hey NC'ers! I'm new to the chicken scene and looking to increase my braintrust. I welcome any and all suggestions! I currently have 6 white leghorn babies hanging out in a Rubbermaid trunk until it warms up enough to go out in the coop. How warm does it have to be? They're losing their down and growing real feathers (looking pretty scraggly!), but escaping their current home pretty regularly. I do have a small thermostatically controlled heater I can put in the coop, but I'm afraid of it getting too warm. We're in Middlesex (between Zebulon and Wilson), so if you're local give me a shout!
ya.gif
Someone in my neck of the "woods" WOO HOO!! HELLO from one who is just off of 39 (between Middlesex & Selma - although our address is in Middlesex)!! Welcome to BYC!!

I am a bit bias when I say this, but you have found the BEST forum on BYC...everyone here has been SO amazing to me as I started out on the whole chicken raising experience! I have learned a LOT (still so much to learn) - and they are always so patient with my "newbie" questions (and I've had chickens for almost 2 years now!!)!! I have very limited experience with babies, so I will let those that are "seasoned" help you!!
big_smile.png
Welcome aboard!!

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

It's conference day! I'm starting off exhausted, as I've been doing 12-14 hours at work every day this week. Too tired to enjoy fun things. But I'll try.

The youngest of the chickies in JDC got evicted from the heat lamps last night! I found them huddled together in the corner. They seem fine, though. They're pretty well feathered. Still, rearrangements will happen this weekend!

Enjoy your day!

How old are the chicks you moved out of the heat? How low did the temp get? I'm trying to gauge when to move mine.

Welcome! You'll love it here.

Well, I lost 2 Ton Sally this morning. I'm sad, but not surprised as she would have been 3 come May 14. So she was a ticking time bomb so to say, since she was a cornish cross (meatie) and probably weighs 30 lbs or so! At least I have two daughters off of her
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
new flocker

ya.gif
Someone in my neck of the "woods" WOO HOO!! HELLO from one who is just off of 39 (between Middlesex & Selma - although our address is in Middlesex)!! Welcome to BYC!!

I am a bit bias when I say this, but you have found the BEST forum on BYC...everyone here has been SO amazing to me as I started out on the whole chicken raising experience! I have learned a LOT (still so much to learn) - and they are always so patient with my "newbie" questions (and I've had chickens for almost 2 years now!!)!! I have very limited experience with babies, so I will let those that are "seasoned" help you!!
big_smile.png
Welcome aboard!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

You all are both not too far from me. I'm in between 39 & 96 in Selma.

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

It's conference day! I'm starting off exhausted, as I've been doing 12-14 hours at work every day this week. Too tired to enjoy fun things. But I'll try.

The youngest of the chickies in JDC got evicted from the heat lamps last night! I found them huddled together in the corner. They seem fine, though. They're pretty well feathered. Still, rearrangements will happen this weekend!

Enjoy your day!

How old are the chicks you moved out of the heat? How low did the temp get?  I'm trying to gauge when to move mine.
I didn't move them. The other, older birds did!

RF, sorry about Sally!

Well, I lost 2 Ton Sally this morning. I'm sad, but not surprised as she would have been 3 come May 14. So she was a ticking time bomb so to say, since she was a cornish cross (meatie) and probably weighs 30 lbs or so! At least I have two daughters off of her
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
new flocker

AWWWWW ! SO SORRY !!!

And a bright note, I got my 2nd egg from Shirley...my Meatie. Time to introduce the girls to the Breese rooster.

Back
Top Bottom