North Carolina

Hey Everyone!

I really was kidding about the chick eating snake relocation program! Seriously, once they eat a chick, is that pretty much going to be what they look for if they can find them? I would have relocated it if I knew somewhere that it would not have access to chicks, everywhere I could think of there are people with chickens.

On a totally different topic, I know I had asked about laying hens a while back. I got some really good feedback and I appreciate that! I have pretty much decided on Red Stars, Buff Orps and Rhode Island Reds. So... my next question for all of you is where is the best place to acquire these breeds? Since I want them for laying, am I better off ordering from a hatchery? If so, what hatcheries have you used and what have been your experiences? Have you ordered these breeds recently from a hatchery? Of course, if anyone has hatching eggs from great laying stock I am always open to purchasing hatching eggs. I live near Sanford (between Raleigh and Fayetteville) and am wiling to drive an hour or two to pick them up.

My opinion: NOT an auction or craigslist, look for someone you know on here that practices biosecurity or start with baby chicks like I'm doing this time around. The waiting sucks, but at least you aren't bringing anything in unintentionally.

Tammy, in my experience a rodent-eating snake usually prefers mammals, but once they start eating birds, then they'll eat them every chance they get.

If I was wanting birds just for layers (and many of my birds are just that) then hatchery birds often lay better than birds closer to SOP. Everyone will have a hatchery they prefer, but I've always gotten healthy birds and good service from Ideal. Most of my Buff Orpingtons and RIRs are from there. I've also used Mt Healthy, but Ideal will let you order five of one thing and five of another, although they do charge you a bit for the privilege. Still, I can get exactly what I want that way.

I LOVE Ideal!!!!
This time of year they are sold out on a lot of the fancier breeds until spring, but you can get the reds and whatnot year round.
Another thing I love about them is they don't have a breed minimum or a minimum number of birds, you only have to spend $25. And their prices are really reasonable.
The chicks I've gotten from them have always been very healthy and sweet. If any die in shipment they will mail you more or refund you. You also get a ton of freebies as packing peanuts-- my last order was 8 extra RIR's I put on craigslist for free as probably roosters. The guy who picked them up was really nice and emailed me a few months back telling me 3 of them turned out to be hens so he was pleased.
Also their shipping charges are really cheap compared to anywhere else, I think I pay like $7 to NC instead of the $40 shipping I just paid for a silkie from my pet chicken.
My only complaint was the Americaunas I got were both the typical brown looking Easter Eggers no fancy colors like other hatcheries, but I only ordered 2 so it could have been the luck of the draw....

Anyway, I concur Ideal is the place to order from!

Last edited:
Thanks Matt. I didn't notice anything odd about her legs before and don't notice any of the others going through this. Guess she's getting a nice new set of legs to show off. Thanks again.
Allen

night time water rescue
went out to close up the coop and do a head count.
heard peeping from under the coop
found my silkie hen with 2 chicks under the coop
and another stuck in the fence.
Got the stuck chick loose and handed him/her off to be dried.
Got mama silkie back in the coop
and had to lay in the mud to force the chicks out from under the coop
they were in an inch of water and it was still raining.
Everyone is safe and back in the coop where it is dry and warm under mom.

Hey Everyone!

I really was kidding about the chick eating snake relocation program! Seriously, once they eat a chick, is that pretty much going to be what they look for if they can find them? I would have relocated it if I knew somewhere that it would not have access to chicks, everywhere I could think of there are people with chickens.

On a totally different topic, I know I had asked about laying hens a while back. I got some really good feedback and I appreciate that! I have pretty much decided on Red Stars, Buff Orps and Rhode Island Reds. So... my next question for all of you is where is the best place to acquire these breeds? Since I want them for laying, am I better off ordering from a hatchery? If so, what hatcheries have you used and what have been your experiences? Have you ordered these breeds recently from a hatchery? Of course, if anyone has hatching eggs from great laying stock I am always open to purchasing hatching eggs. I live near Sanford (between Raleigh and Fayetteville) and am wiling to drive an hour or two to pick them up.

I have 40+ pullet chicks that are RIR, Gold Comets(Red Stars), and what looks like some Buff Orpingtons. They are just over a week old and doing great!!

$5/each and Quantity discounts are given! I'm just North of Raleigh.

glad to hear all is well with mom and babies Moores6 one of her sisters has been broody for a week now

She is such a good mommy.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom