North Carolina

I have a young cockerel learning to crow.... It is hilarious! I just had to share!

0.jpg

I had one that sounded like a rooster was flat out being killed, he was really late starting to crow and for the first few days of his "crowing" I would run around trying to find out which rooster was dying/ or being attacked. Thankfully he figured it out soon enough.

Wow, it's been sometime since I have been on BYC. Hope all is well with everyone and their chicks. I've been busy closing down my daycare and began teaching else where. I'm pleased to announce that I finally got a blue egg from my 27 week old EE. I originally thought she was laying brown eggs but I guess she was just taking her time. I now have all five girls laying. I've sold a few dozen eggs and couldn't be more thrilled with my girls and how amazing each one is.

* our first EE egg laid last week.

Congrats on the blue egg.

It's finally Friday!
yippiechickie.gif
The weather is going to be nice and I have LOTS of work planned.

My 2 teenage pullets have started "jousting". They put their head down and run toward the other one. They haven't butted heads yet. I guess this is another way to establish pecking order? It's funny to watch them.

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!! Those of you heading to Chicken Stock enjoy yourselves. I wish I could go this time but I don't have the room to quarantine anyone else right now and I couldn't possibly go and not bring back any new birds! I guess I'll have to wait until spring.
hmm.png

I could tell for sure at about 4 weeks.
I tried to tail feather sex them as day old chicks when they arrived to keep 12 girls and get rid of the rest & I ended up with 2 roo's so that was fairly close.
By 2-3 weeks I was sure 2 were roo's a couple more were questionable, but by 4 weeks you should be able to tell for sure.
Mine are either 7 weeks or 8 weeks yesterday I know they hatched on a wed in late july, but torn between 2 which it was.
The roosters are "crowing", but not very well or loud. Just enough so you know they are boys!
Can't wait to see pics of what yours look like!
I love our one rooster, I am going to have a really hard time with him.
Live weight right now mine are 5-6lbs.

Thank you for the information. I am looking forward to seeing how these fill out. I think mine are still on the small side, but from what I've been reading about fermented feed, it seems they tend to be a week behind "schedule" in growth. I'm not worried as we're not planning to process until December which would make them closer to the 16-18 week mark - DH has a guy from work that wants to learn how to do it (IF he can do it) before getting chickens of his own.

3 weeks and a day old (do note there are 5 mixed chicks that were suppose to go with mama, but she rejected them, so they will stay in here until big enough to join the flock) all DEVOURING the Fermented Feed

This isn't the best picture, but this is my 85-90% white Freedom Ranger which I am hoping turns out to be a pullet so I can keep her!!
love.gif
I don't have favorites, but...okay, this one is ONE of my favorites!!
hide.gif
If it turns out to be a rooster, well then I guess I'll be disappointed and will NOT partake in the processing of that one... I've affectionately named this one Salt...so I need a companion to name Pepper!! LOL

I hope everyone has a great day!!

Came home from work last night, and now we have
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
a little gray one. Three more eggs to go. This one was a day late and one is suppose to hatch today one tommorrow and the other on Mon. Not sure about todays egg, it almost looked like the one I lost inside. No smell yet so we will see.

Good morning, folks! Haven't been on in a while. Currently having trouble with dogs and turkeys, so wanting to sell off all the remaining turkeys this weekend. Pm if you want more info on that!

Hope everyone is doing well!

My eggs and thermostat for the incubator will be here today! The eggs got shipped early or I would have had the thermostat a couple days before the eggs, oh well. Installing the thermostat today and setting the eggs tomorrow! I am so scared/excited!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom