North Carolina

Hi, I am in Sophia NC .. Originally from Lexington NC ... Maybe someone that know's how our crazy weather changes here can help me .. I have 18 chicks and they are 5 weeks old .. There brooder is getting really crowded ... They are still under a red heat lamp 250 watt .. I was wanting to switch then to their coop ... Does anyone know if it's too cold out for them to be switched?.. There is no way too put a light in the coop ... It's small but a lot bigger than there brooder box .. We have a PVC pipe run coming off the coop so they could have some yard play .. What is everyone's opinion?.. Thank Kim

I would start by weaning them off the 250w heat lamp. If they are inside, just turn it off and keep an eye on them to see how they do. Once they have adjusted to that, start taking them outside during the day and then bringing them in at night if it's too cold. Once they are feathered out, they should be able to handle the colder temps at night as long as they are protected from the wind and rain.

They are inside our garage right now ... Temps at night stay between 40-45 in there ... And gets up to 50 in there during the day ... I will start taking the heat lamp away to see how they act ... :)

Hi, I am in Sophia NC .. Originally from Lexington NC ... Maybe someone that know's how our crazy weather changes here can help me .. I have 18 chicks and they are 5 weeks old .. There brooder is getting really crowded ... They are still under a red heat lamp 250 watt .. I was wanting to switch then to their coop ... Does anyone know if it's too cold out for them to be switched?.. There is no way too put a light in the coop ... It's small but a lot bigger than there brooder box .. We have a PVC pipe run coming off the coop so they could have some yard play .. What is everyone's opinion?.. They are standard size birds all hens ... Barred Rock,RIR,Light Buff Orpington, Brahma's and austrolorpes (sp)Thank Kim

Your going to want to lock them in the coupe for a few weeks anyway so depending on how well insulated your coupe is you could move them out there with a few heat lamps and plenty of straw beding.

I got mine through Marsha Tutterow last year, she's here on BYC. I'm in Aberdeen and it was a drive, but very nice birds and knowledgeable breeder! Has tons of different colors too.

Aberdeen is not far i drive there often for work. I will try to look her up if you have her contact info and could PM that would be a great help and much appreciated. I am wanting to put some eggs in with the next hatch i do in a few days.

They are inside our garage right now ... Temps at night stay between 40-45 in there ... And gets up to 50 in there during the day ... I will start taking the heat lamp away to see how they act ... :)

Probably best to start by raising it higher first. I'm not sure how feathered out they are. I use heat plates for chicks and usually brood outside which may mean that mine are better adapted to cold by that age. Just go slow so that they have time to adjust. You don't want to shock them with a drastic temp change that they can't handle.

I agree with what everyone else is saying but also ttake into acount the number of chicks you have, with that many they can all huddle and keep body heat better. If they are all feathered and again with that number of chicks and with wind and rain protection I personally think they should be fine. But again if you are able I would wean them off the lamp first!

Yep! That was me! I ended up keeping 3 of his brothers- 1 blue, 1 black, and 1 splash. They are all about 3 months younger than yours though.

Here he is

Hi, and welcome to the new folks!

On the chicks and heat lamp, look to see how close they stay to it now. I'll be moving six-week-olds this weekend. They stay in a wide circle around the lamps to sleep now, not under them. So they'll be fine moving into a protected but unheated building. They are all feathered out. So I'll have the big rotation this weekend!

Adults who over-wintered in Grow-out go back to their pen. Six-week-olds move from Juvenile detention Center to Grow-out. Brooder chicks move to JDC. And there are chicks hatching now that move to the brooder. Soon I'll be done hatching for the year.

Enjoy the coming spring!

Aberdeen is not far i drive there often for work. I will try to look her up if you have her contact info and could PM that would be a great help and much appreciated. I am wanting to put some eggs in with the next hatch i do in a few days.

Oh no, I meant I am in Aberdeen... She was all the way out in Mocksville NC! It was a drive for me getting out there. Idk if it will be closer for you. Yes she has a thread called Marsha's silkies in the buy sell trade forum I believe too. And if I remember rt you can see pics of her birds.

Back
Top Bottom