North Carolina

I'm in Moore County, moving onto our more rural property next week. We're going to revamp the little coop this summer and hope to manage to get 4-6 chickens despite the great chick shortage and then work on building a bigger coop to be ready for 15-20 next spring.

I used to have a backyard flock in town with Delawares, Dark Brahmas, Australorps, and a Black Langshan under the protection of a Light Brahma Rooster. I'm hoping for pretty much the same thing again -- I am in love with black, white, and black and white chickens.

Anyone within reasonable driving distance of the Charlotte area (~1 hour or so) selling any pullets? I'm only looking to get two and I'm having trouble finding listings online from anyone who will sell fewer than 5 at a time. I'm most interested in Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers but I might consider other breeds.
If Conover (near Hickory) is not too far away from you https://www.shookpoultrync.com the guy who owns it posts in BYC from time to time to promote Carolina Chickenstock in Taylorsville.

Another question, is there anyone in NC who processes their own meat chickens who might be willing (at some future point in time when there's not a world plague) to show me/walk me through how it's done? I've been thinking about raising some broilers for myself but I've never dispatched and cleaned a chicken before, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable moving forward if I had some experience there first. I do have some food allergy concerns that I'd need to go over (which is why I'd like to learn to process my own chickens). And I would absolutely be willing to compensate you for your teaching time.

Another question, is there anyone in NC who processes their own meat chickens who might be willing (at some future point in time when there's not a world plague) to show me/walk me through how it's done? I've been thinking about raising some broilers for myself but I've never dispatched and cleaned a chicken before, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable moving forward if I had some experience there first. I do have some food allergy concerns that I'd need to go over (which is why I'd like to learn to process my own chickens). And I would absolutely be willing to compensate you for your teaching time.

I am not currently set up for it and it will be quite a while until I am, but I wanted to reassure you that it's not actually all that difficult. I used the broomstick method when I did my previous birds but want to set up killing cones to make it easier to handle larger numbers than the handful I had before.

@3KillerBs Oh I'm not worried about it being difficult--my background is in biology and medicine and I've done enough 'wet labs' that slicing up deceased animals isn't that big of a deal to me. Processing a chicken from start to finish is just something I've not done before and I learn better in person than watching twenty YouTube videos :p.

Back
Top Bottom