North Carolina

I think the grapes we have are muscadine .... I know nothing about nothing apparently. I didn't even know I could eat the nuts from our trees, I just raked them up at threw them out. Such a bone head
smack.gif

Next year I will be collecting and selling and of course swapping. My friend told me that there is a pecan cracker place not far.

Valley Quail ..........very nice !! Do you sell hatching eggs or birds ?
hide.gif

Okay you guys maybe you can help :D

Anyone know of anyplace or anyone who has wooden shipping/packing crates? just about any size, I have all sorts of things I can use them for. Free or cheap preferably. I use to see someone on craigslist that had HUGE ones, and I don't see any recent posts from them, BUT I can't remember where it was *sigh* lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For the big shipping crates on craigslist search shipping crates... Last posted on the fayetteville list last week. I really want one or two. The big ones can be cut in half and and make two coops. The problem for me is that they are in Carthage over an hour away and only open 8 to 5 Mon- Fri. I would need to take a day off work.

Just went to look up the listing I saw on Friday and it is gone. They list every few weeks so just keep trying.

Last edited:
Yes thats the one Greenacre, Carthage. Its an hour and a half from me, I am wanting to go out and get 1 or 2, and I agree they'd make awesome coops, doghouses, brooders, etc. I have seen them in all shapes and sizes, and years ago I made a couple smaller ones into a little display cases.

I just scored this awesome double decker coop on CL. :woot it 4ft w x by 5ft long! It needs minor work to the wire and floor and some scrubbing, but for 25$ its great! Guess what that means…………anyone?………MORE CHICKENS :lau :jumpy
The guy I'm buying my chicks from used to be a sexer for a hatchery so……im getting
3 GLW pullets
3 slw pullets
3 salmon faverolles pullets
2 light brahma pullets
2 buff brahma pullets
2 BO roos
2 jersey black giants
And a trio of blue cochins!
I wish he had EEs I'd love have colored eggs!

I just scored this awesome double decker coop on CL.
woot.gif
it 4ft w x by 5ft long! It needs minor work to the wire and floor and some scrubbing, but for 25$ its great! Guess what that means…………anyone?………MORE CHICKENS
lau.gif
jumpy.gif

The guy I'm buying my chicks from used to be a sexer for a hatchery so……im getting
3 GLW pullets
3 slw pullets
3 salmon faverolles pullets
2 light brahma pullets
2 buff brahma pullets
2 BO roos
2 jersey black giants
And a trio of blue cochins!
I wish he had EEs I'd love have colored eggs!

JEALOUS!!! :D

Shannon, I can't wait for this years crops. We have already cleaned and rebedded the rhubard, clearing the blackberry/raspberries and not touching the strawberry bed till spring as the neighbors are already trying to bloom.
ep.gif
We still have to cut and rehang some of the grape vines and rework the blueberry area, oh and trim all the fruit trees.
wink.png
Now the garden, that's another story, it needs help as we didn't touch it last fall.
tongue.png

We are also moving some of the honeysuckle this year and will be planting some lavender.
big_smile.png

Dadgum........I go for a little saddle time and you all go on a posting frenzy!!!!
ep.gif

Welcome to all newcomers, Happy BDay to those have/had one lately. DoubleA........you can come fix me nachos anytime
droolin.gif

Hate missing those who went to WCA and didn't get to meet you
sad.png

Everyone else
hugs.gif

Ally... I am so happy to hear about your step daughter. She will learn English quick enough, My friend is adopting a 12 year old girl from Ukraine. The child has traveled to the US twice last year and now my friend & her husband travel to Ukraine the end of this month to finalize the adoption , we hope all goes well, for you & your DH too.
fl.gif

Colie....
barnie.gif
Wish we knew you were there too. Had a bunch of us there. Next time I am going to shout out before the auction starts for all BYCers .
lol.png

ML... maybe YOU need a new Muscovy.
gig.gif
I already have 1 mean drake, looking to be dinner. One of my blue hens....is a drake. Plus the lavender drake.
th.gif
So 3 drakes & 4 hens.
Two of the hens are flying all over the place..... I NEED to get my butt in gear & trim their wings. Do I need to trim both wings or just one? I will be selling /eating (if I get the nerve) the 2 blue drakes. I will keep the Lav. drake with the 4 girls.
I am selling ALL the runners and I will only be keeping the Pekins & maybe the Magpies. My kids want calls
roll.png

MaryRuth......... you will love it here. We are all addicted to chickens, BYC & some to hatching.
yippiechickie.gif

Haha! I was hiding on the bleachers in the back next to Luke and his posse. I came in late. Next time I'm going to wear my hot pink BYC shirt!

No worries Alex, I have an issue where once I start planting, and everything starts multipling... I start giving things away!!! UGH! Now I have like a neon green thumb and its out of control! lol

I want those roses to take I clipped today, I know Ally wants one. With me, either 90% will root or none will root. I ended up with more grape vines then I needed the year before last and I gave 5 away only keeping 1. Now I have room for more, I should have saved those.

I think I may go take more cuttings of the grapes since I'm thinking about it. I usually have more success with the grapes after the spring buds begin to swell in March though. These are wine grapes we grow though, not muscadine or concord.

Here's the climbing roses the first year... we're on year 3 and the arbor is completely covered on the left side now.

Here's the first grape vine we get our cuttings from. Last year we got 15 lbs of wine grapes.

Any tricks to keeping grape vines? The house I moved into has several and my thumb is totally black!! I'm going to try and not kill the vines and the roses because I love both of them but I'm clueless!!!

If you have a local ag office I would visit them and as for some info on keeping grapes in your area, very informative.
wink.png
We trim out back every winter and as well as use just string to tie any new vines that have not connected yet. We have 3 six foot sections two strands high, three feet and 6 feet and have three different grapes, one being concord.
droolin.gif

Here is a pic of some of ours. We end up with so many that we can't keep up, but the birds are very thankful!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom