North Carolina

duke's mixture of aseel-warhorse-saipan.....culted all but these.....gonna see how they turn out
wee.gif

NH, a well placed shot, NOT AT THE HAWK WOULD DO WELL, to scare the bird away. There is not a lot we can do with them other than scare them off. They love to perch in the tall pines behind our yard and love to look at the little white and buff targets below. Our only loss was a pullet who disappeared from the front yard when they were small enough to squeeze through the fence. Something to think about.

I haven't posted on this thread for quite a while.

All three Orps went broody this season. #1 did just fine, four chicks when we said thats enough. #2 and #3 didn't do so well and frankly I was worried about the heat that we have had. Had some dead chicks but was able to hand off to scottcaddy who needed a buddy chick for a stray that he had missed.

Story of the day, my Brahma roo has been a pain. So at 0730 this morning I get a call from DW. The idiot came out of the run and attacked her while she was picking tomatoes. She hit him with a wrench. Big wrench. Didn't phase him.

So it's yes dear and while driving home I am planning out my strategy, when DW says just keep him locked up until you get home from work. No way. The guy gets a reprieve until the weekend. When it's supposed to be cooler.

So good to be back, you guys are hard to keep with on this thread. But I do enjoy it.

Bhep, you can't shut down yet! I just picked up 2 1/2 dozen of golden lakenvelder eggs that I need you to hatch for me, PLEASE:D

NH with them type of birds it's illegal to disturb or harrass or even try to move. So remove the food like you plan till the bird moves on. Good luck

Over 30 mins and it still wont upload my pic.... I dont understand...
sad.png
I have good Wifi signal and the pic isnt corrupted....

In other sad news, one of my blue Silkies is (im 90% sure) a male... that leaves two that look girlie (to me anyway) this takes my count up to 7 males and 10 girls... not very good odds... And no one wants them so I'm working on a bachelor pen now.

Bhep, you can't shut down yet! I just picked up 2 1/2 dozen of golden lakenvelder eggs that I need you to hatch for me, PLEASE:D
NH with them type of birds it's illegal to disturb or harrass or even try to move. So remove the food like you plan till the bird moves on. Good luck
REALLY?? That stinks. I knew it was illegal to actually shoot one, but to disturb one?? Seriously?? That just stinks!! Who comes up with these rules anyway?? LOL I could do without all this governmental regulations - a predator is a predator - a threat to my livestock is a threat to my livelihood - even if we don't profit from our chickens. <sigh> I need my own island where I am ruler of all then (okay, second to my DH)...LOL Okay, off my soapbox now to go hide.

I must go hide in my sewing room, as anytime I am near the door or a window on the west side of the house, the chickens and I can see each other. Their pitiful looks are KILLING ME!! Off to attempt to make & sew a tie!!
Have a great day everyone!!

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to all the new folks!!

Since birds of prey are federally protected, disposing of a hawk is not the best idea.  I use hides for my chickens ... something they can run under and hide from flying predators.  Sometimes you can discourage the hawks by using distractors.  At this time of year it might be a juvenile, although if it's able to take down a rabbit or squirrel, I would wonder why it doesn't get the hen and instead takes small chicks that are no more than a scooby-snack.  However, for some birds, distractors such as tying plastic bags on bushes and trees so they are flapping about work well.  Their focus is divided as they need to track movements.  Often things like this will make them move on to other hunting grounds.

Hi there! Not to disagree, but this has come up many times for us with hawks/owls etc. natural resources confirmed that we can dispatch anything that is harming our livestock/property.

We just recently had hawks coming in to kill our chickens every night and set traps. This is about the third time in about 15 years. Still, it's the same, we can kill anything that threatens our livestock.

Disturbing is direct. You can't bother their nests or directly harass them. You can put out visual disturbances that interfere with their hunting of your birds, like the flapping bags. People use similar disturbances to keep birds out of their gardens. They are not a direct harassment of one bird or one species.

Despite the fact that I also get disgruntled when it's MY birds being eaten, there are good reasons for the regulations. And it's difficult to blame the birds, or foxes, or whatever, when we are basically taking prey animals and congregating them right in the middle of their territory. Might as well put out the buffet sign, eh? But the upper level predators are indicator species for the entire ecosystem, so it's important to let them live. Plus they control more rodents and rabbits than chickens, although sometimes it doesn't seem that way to us.

I saw a hawk stoop over my pasture in the middle of my chickens once. I got out there as fast as I could to see who had been killed. The red tail was on the ground with chickens all over the place...and it had a rabbit. I also had a red tail move in during the winter (migrating) and take a muscovy every other day until we thought of the hides. Then she moved on. They are interesting birds. For us, the ones who take chickens are usually juveniles or in winter migration. I've never yet had an established adult work my birds. All that to say that you may have a juvenile bird out there, and visual disturbances will work better on a young one. Good luck.

Here's a quote from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which covers them:

Prohibited Acts. Unless permitted by regulations, the Act provides that it is unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture or kill; attempt to take, capture or kill; possess, offer to or sell, barter, purchase, deliver or cause to be shipped, exported, imported, transported, carried or received any migratory bird, part, nest, egg or product, manufactured or not. Subject to limitations in the Act, the Secretary of the Interior (Secretary) may adopt regulations determining the extent to which, if at all, hunting, taking, capturing, killing, possessing, selling, purchasing, shipping, transporting or exporting of any migratory bird, part, nest or egg will be allowed, having regard for temperature zones, distribution, abundance, economic value, breeding habits and migratory flight patterns. Regulations are effective upon Presidential approval. §§ 703 and 704.

And Good Morning! to everyone!
frow.gif

gig.gif
You missed the part that I have 3 SMALL incubators running. No Worries !!!! Plenty of room for a few dozen LVs.
big_smile.png

Quote: Local law can not supercede federal law. You can kill any non protected species and anyones pet that kills your livestock, but you can not kill a protected species. Unfortunately, most local "officials" are less familiar with federal law than local law. And this is beyond federal law; this is an international treaty. Any local "official" stating that you can kill a protected species for any reason other than immediate personal danger should be reported.

Anyone goto the WCA last weekend? (I had other plans and it just took too long to make the drive)

By chance have there been any started Cornish x auctioned off lately? If so about what have they been going for? I think I may go up next weekend if there have been some, its about all I have room for right now.

Back
Top Bottom