North Carolina

I did some rearranging with the birds that were in the "teenager house", now that my teenagers are becoming almost-adults. I made a decision on what Swedish Flower Hen Rooster to keep, and put the resulting trio in their own pen. I am selling this pretty boy (anyone interested?) He is 14 weeks old:

I have him alone in a pen for easy catching when I get him sold. That left my three random teenage girls (SLW, Lav Amer, and RIR) in the teenage house. I opened the door to let them out to wander around outside, but they haven't gotten up the nerve to venture out yet. It's only a matter of time before my adult girls wander over there and find the door open - and go in to raid the joint. Hope I get to see that, should be entertaining.

Otherwise, my guineas are 8 weeks old, so I caught one and put it alone - soon she was "buckwheat"-ing away, so I tagged her as a hen and put her back in with her crew. I'll keep doing this until I've determined what everybody is. Happy to have a little hen - I've lost all my guinea hens but one. Hoping for more!

Last edited:
I wish it wasn't so hot today! I had my hopes that I could get the coops cleaned out today, but all I do is sweat... then it rains... then I don't get much of anything done.
hu.gif

This weekend would be perfect, but the chances of rain go up even more. UGH!

Mother nature is working against me.

Well...I FINALLY figured out the predator that has been plaguing our flock (or so I think). This afternoon, I saw a hawk (red-tailed?? - it HAD a red tail...) sitting in our front yard with a baby bunny (or squirrel, not sure, but it was a baby - something). If I trusted my aim with the gun, I so would have disposed of this predator, but being the responsible person that I am, I know never to shoot unless you are aware of what's behind your target (in this case farmland and somewhere a farmer on his tractor) and I also know there would be NO point. I could dispose of this hawk, but I am sure another would fill it's shoes in a mater of days. The real question is how do I peacefully cohabit with this beast?!? Anyone out there have suggestions for dealing with this hawk? It's not a big one...but it can still do some damage...besides, once my guineas get here, I don't want it to think of them as lunch & dinner too!! HELP!!??

Really really bummed.  In order to put my BO babies in thetractor, I needed to get rid of my RIR's that were just now laying age. So a man that I work with said he would take my 2 RIR hens and my RIR roo.    When he came to get them on Sunday afternoon, the roo jumped and ran, we caught the hens and told the man that we would catch the roo when it came to roost and get it to him.  Well, we caught the roo shortly and called the man and he said he didn't want the roo as it would crow and wake his wife.  Hubby told him the deal had been the 2 hens AND the roo, if he didn't want the roo he needed to bring the hens back.  Since he lied about the roo, I wonder if he is really gonna take care of the hens or just turn them loose to get killed by coyotes.  Grr, I am mad and missing my baby girls, I raised them from day old chicks. 
Just needed to get that off my chest, to someone that might understand.
:hit

I totally understand it! I hate it when people don't follow through on what they say, and start backing out after you've made plans. I hope he changes his mind and realizes that the hens are much happier with the roo! ;). If you lived closer I'd be happy to keep them!

Since birds of prey are federally protected, disposing of a hawk is not the best idea. I use hides for my chickens ... something they can run under and hide from flying predators. Sometimes you can discourage the hawks by using distractors. At this time of year it might be a juvenile, although if it's able to take down a rabbit or squirrel, I would wonder why it doesn't get the hen and instead takes small chicks that are no more than a scooby-snack. However, for some birds, distractors such as tying plastic bags on bushes and trees so they are flapping about work well. Their focus is divided as they need to track movements. Often things like this will make them move on to other hunting grounds.

I totally understand it! I hate it when people don't follow through on what they say, and start backing out after you've made plans. I hope he changes his mind and realizes that the hens are much happier with the roo!
wink.png
. If you lived closer I'd be happy to keep them!
Thank you, I wish some one on here was closer and could have taken my girls, I haven't slept for 2 nights worrying about them and my roos. Just found out, hubby gave the roos to his dad and last night 3 foxes got in the barn and got them both
hit.gif
, I am sick, sick, sick! My poor poor babies! I have all my Buffs, 6 hens and 2 roos, 3 aracaunas, one is a roo for sure, think the other 2 are hens but one is very aggressive and red combed, but it is very small. I should never have gotten rid of my sweet hens. I'm gonna post some pics of aracuanas and see if someone that is familiar with the breed can help me.

Since birds of prey are federally protected, disposing of a hawk is not the best idea. I use hides for my chickens ... something they can run under and hide from flying predators. Sometimes you can discourage the hawks by using distractors. At this time of year it might be a juvenile, although if it's able to take down a rabbit or squirrel, I would wonder why it doesn't get the hen and instead takes small chicks that are no more than a scooby-snack. However, for some birds, distractors such as tying plastic bags on bushes and trees so they are flapping about work well. Their focus is divided as they need to track movements. Often things like this will make them move on to other hunting grounds.

I am wonder here: Will the Hawk eat 2 Xs in one day???? And NH is surrounded by nothing but woods ??? I hate to say it....but I wonder if it is the mama cat ???

I am wonder here: Will the Hawk eat 2 Xs in one day???? And NH is surrounded by nothing but woods ??? I hate to say it....but I wonder if it is the mama cat ???
I have seen the mama cat with the chicks though...she doesn't seem interested in them (remember the squirrel...ack). However, a predator IS a predator and an easy meal (or scooby snack) is an easy meal. I don't know. For now everyone is staying under lock and key and only getting to free range while under supervision. I will have DH try to instill some of the distractors like other have listed. I did remember after posting that certain birds are protected - as I recalled (much to my chagrin) the whole ordeal last year when mama cat attacked a hawk trying to attack our chicken - we found out if we let it die, we could be held responsible and fined!!
th.gif
Needless to say, I only posted what I observed - "she" was in the front lawn (all the attacks were in the back of our property) in the grass with something small in her talons. Hopefully by keeping the chickens under guard for a few months (sorry chickens) the predator will see it's food source gone and move on!!
fl.gif
Or so I am hoping & praying!!

Back
Top Bottom