North Carolina

So this little presh ran the road nearby us for long enough it made me crazy. I finally was able to catch her and she is a SWEETHEART. Took RIGHT to snuggling and RIGHT to the dog, and RIGHT to attention.

I can't keep her - who wants her?

I kid you not....she was settled into this sofa pillow 5.7 minutes after being introduced to the house. Helmsley is WAY more nervous about her than she is about him lol.

Really really bummed. In order to put my BO babies in thetractor, I needed to get rid of my RIR's that were just now laying age. So a man that I work with said he would take my 2 RIR hens and my RIR roo. When he came to get them on Sunday afternoon, the roo jumped and ran, we caught the hens and told the man that we would catch the roo when it came to roost and get it to him. Well, we caught the roo shortly and called the man and he said he didn't want the roo as it would crow and wake his wife. Hubby told him the deal had been the 2 hens AND the roo, if he didn't want the roo he needed to bring the hens back. Since he lied about the roo, I wonder if he is really gonna take care of the hens or just turn them loose to get killed by coyotes. Grr, I am mad and missing my baby girls, I raised them from day old chicks.
Just needed to get that off my chest, to someone that might understand.
hit.gif

Good Morning Everyone!

The sun is shining. It's going to be another lovely day!

I adore that kitten! Hope you find her the perfect home!

And as for the jerk from work with the RIRs ....^$#&*^%&)*&_(*+)*(+)(*^&^$$%#%

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!

The sun is shining. It's going to be another lovely day!

I adore that kitten! Hope you find her the perfect home!

And as for the jerk from work with the RIRs ....^$#&*^%&)*&_(*+)*(+)(*^&^$$%#%
x2!!

Wild - praying for you to have a quick recovery and for the pain to subside for you! Until it does, just rest and let your body heal!!
hugs.gif

I have a broody sitting on about 12 eggs - since Beth the chicken whisperer isn't here, this broody will NOT let me near her nest at all. I have even brought her treats and water (since I have not seen her get up at all) and she not only refuses to eat but ATTACKS me. Guess we will just trash the eggs that she is sitting on that she wasn't suppose to...unless they too hatch, right?!?
big_smile.png
DH is in love with the look of our rooster, so he decided that once this broody is done with sitting and the chicks are feathered out, we're going to separate the 2 buffs and see if we can have some nice pure buff chicks!! I think he is just making sure he has a backup rooster in case something happens to Jeremy (we already know that "el stupido" aka Timmy the lav rooster is going into the soup pot once the other roosters are old enough to process)...he's funny. He's already excited about the guineas we're getting, planning on what to do so we can have ducks. I tell you, he has gotten bit by the chicken BUG!! Still
love.gif
the chicken math!!

x2!!

Wild - praying for you to have a quick recovery and for the pain to subside for you! Until it does, just rest and let your body heal!!
hugs.gif

I have a broody sitting on about 12 eggs - since Beth the chicken whisperer isn't here, this broody will NOT let me near her nest at all. I have even brought her treats and water (since I have not seen her get up at all) and she not only refuses to eat but ATTACKS me. Guess we will just trash the eggs that she is sitting on that she wasn't suppose to...unless they too hatch, right?!?
big_smile.png
DH is in love with the look of our rooster, so he decided that once this broody is done with sitting and the chicks are feathered out, we're going to separate the 2 buffs and see if we can have some nice pure buff chicks!! I think he is just making sure he has a backup rooster in case something happens to Jeremy (we already know that "el stupido" aka Timmy the lav rooster is going into the soup pot once the other roosters are old enough to process)...he's funny. He's already excited about the guineas we're getting, planning on what to do so we can have ducks. I tell you, he has gotten bit by the chicken BUG!! Still
love.gif
the chicken math!!

So glad he is warming up to the guinea's coming.... They can be loud, but will eat every bug they can find. You will love them.

I love my ducks... they are so fun to just sit and watch.... you should really get you some.

Oh.... you might want some turkeys too.... <enables> I got some turkey eggs in the incubator... and Beth has some of my turkey eggs in the incubator, too..... Plus my pretty turkey hen went broody just yesterday... she had laid an egg and I gave her back one she had laid the day before. So, she is sitting on 2 eggs. But if they don't hatch for her... I will give her poults off of the eggs in the incubator.

Got up the strength to go to the feed store today and I found this great feed called Redneck Rooster, it has BOSS, corn, oats, wheat, millet, and 2 other things I can't remember now. 50lbs bag for 12$!

My leghorn pullets are 16 weeks now. How soon should I be getting eggs from them? I noticed today that a few of my teenage pullets (various breeds) are starting to get the redder combs starting up. I know that is a sign of impending laying. I'm hoping to see some eggs from them all soon.

So glad he is warming up to the guinea's coming.... They can be loud, but will eat every bug they can find. You will love them.

I love my ducks... they are so fun to just sit and watch.... you should really get you some.

Oh.... you might want some turkeys too.... <enables> I got some turkey eggs in the incubator... and Beth has some of my turkey eggs in the incubator, too..... Plus my pretty turkey hen went broody just yesterday... she had laid an egg and I gave her back one she had laid the day before. So, she is sitting on 2 eggs. But if they don't hatch for her... I will give her poults off of the eggs in the incubator.

ENABLER!!
gig.gif
I have been in talks with Beth about ducks for a while now. We are still working out the details of where to put the "pool" and such. Can't make any decisions until I get back from the wedding. We'd LOVE turkey (well...to raise our own for special holidays and such) but I read that they have such a low survival rate that it makes them not worth the hassle. If that's not the case, I may be hitting you all up for some later!! Right now, I have to figure out what is picking off my babies one by one. Let my gang out yesterday - first time in like 4 days (they were going bonkers too) and was busy upstairs sewing...came down to lock up the chickens and one baby is MIA.
hit.gif
I have lost 3 in just over a week, and I am not liking my odds if I keep letting them out; however, if I keep them locked up....they eat me out of house & home - not to mention they really pick on one another!! I have a gorgeous rooster who isn't worth a things as he doesn't protect the babies...too busy trying to steal a sliver of food from the kittens on the deck. Really...where are his priorities!?! GRR.
Any suggestions on where to find a good chicken sitter?!? I am hesitant to let my chickens free range during the day while gone and our neighbor usually would just lock them up for us at night and check food/water status. I am nervous about leaving now. Suggestions?

ETA: Mary - LOVE the big fluffy tom in the bottom picture!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!

I finally caught the turkey hen off her nest this morning. As I suspected...she has no eggs. So we will no longer worry about disturbing her, and will set up those new kennels this weekend. The bantams will be thrilled to get their own space.

I found a wind egg this morning, still warm, on the floor of one henhouse. Lots of up-coming pullets of assorted ages in that house, but it was light brown, so it should have been one of the Orpington pullets, either black or lavender. It's a beginning!

Back
Top Bottom