North Idaho / Eastern Washington

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
the moca egg(BCM/Blue isbar-Frizzle), the big blue egg(blue isbar/frizzle) and I think a lg pink/tan egg (LO/frizzle) were from my flock...
frizzle=grey egg too. the green eggs were from a friend, but her hens were from my flock, and have frizzle grey egg gene too.

I candled my eggs...I had 7. 2 looked like quitters for sure, (pulled) one is questionable. 4 look pretty good. they are due some time after thur. maybe fri.

Last edited:
:jumpy :jumpy :jumpy the moca egg(BCM/Blue isbar-Frizzle), the big blue egg(blue isbar/frizzle) and I think a lg pink/tan egg (LO/frizzle) were from my flock...
frizzle=grey egg too. the green eggs were from a friend, but her hens were from my flock, and have frizzle grey egg gene too.

I candled my eggs...I had 7. 2 looked like quitters for sure, (pulled) one is questionable. 4 look pretty good. they are due some time after thur. maybe fri.

So I know the blue, mocha x 1 and tan x 1 all hatched, and 4 green hatched, 1 tan still alive and internally pipped. All but that one are out.

What color was the moca? it will be the big chick, If it is white it will be splash.. If any are white they should be splash.

Last edited:
Ugh, I don't want to stay inside and clean!

My babes are all doing great! I moved them outside with a heat pad and blocked the wind from their little run. I could stand the dust in my bedroom any more haha. I am seeing a few bantam cockerels from my straight run chicks. I think I have a bantam OEG/serama/phoenix, and a buff silkie, and possibly a Silver EE and polish bantam roo. A few more weeks and I'll know for certain on the last 3. The OEG/serama/phoenix is definitely a boy though.

Good morning everyone! Looking for advice on two things....

One - A hen showed up at the coop limping after free ranging with the others most of the day. I was with them most of the time working outside so I'm not sure how she was hurt. (I have 2 roosters and a male guinea that are aggressive and may have something to do with it?) She's favoring it heavily but still get around okay and can get in and out of the coop. No obvious signs of trauma and it's not broken. Not sure what to look for past that. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure shes getting food and water. Anything else I should do for her?

Two - My broody banty is so small she keeps getting kicked out of her nest. Extra eggs show up constantly and other hens sometimes sit on the original clutch. Several times I've found the original clutch cool and other times just a little warm. Being new to this, I'm guessing the eggs probably will not hatch. I plan on candling tonight. Today is day 18. I think I should be able to see movement or something if they are alive, yes?

Sorry I only post when I have a question. Everyone seems to be doing so much with their flocks and don't have anything worthy to add, so I read.

Thanks......

So here is my broody with all 8 chicks hatched from @gimmie birdies eggs.the two yellow ones are adorable. She's doing so well with them, accepted the last 4 from the bator without fuss.

Last edited:
Hopefully you will be able to see movement when you candle. It's sometimes hard to see on day 18 because the chick is taking up most of the egg. Keep us updated. I would leave the eggs for another week before I would throw any out. Unless they smell of course :) If there is a bad smell you can usually find the culprit by smelling the egg itself, just don't shake it. Good luck!

Hopefully you will be able to see movement when you candle. It's sometimes hard to see on day 18 because the chick is taking up most of the egg. Keep us updated. I would leave the eggs for another week before I would throw any out. Unless they smell of course :) If there is a bad smell you can usually find the culprit by smelling the egg itself, just don't shake it. Good luck!
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom