North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SusanRenee, Jul 20, 2012.

1. UGLYFOOT

UGLYFOOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    Gonna show off some Serama baby love! I have 14 out of 18 strong babies. One more in the incubator was an assisted hatch and not walking around so good. Two never pipped, and one pipped but never made it out of the shell. They are so tiny and cute!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Oh they're so cute and Tony!

3. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015

ROFL well... yeah we didn't just dip our toes in... Thanks for taking me back CyndiD!... And while I'd still love some laced wyandottes, we did just jump right in with Ameraucanas and Welsummer chicks. Pretty sure this was my first post on BYC too lol!

4. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    So sweet [​IMG]

5. Hawk12

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    I wanted to update everyone...I am still around, just working a lot. I do check in everyday but often when I am at work so I don't usually have time to chat much. I lost my last hatch, racked my brain trying to figure out what went wrong (besides a temp spike of 106) and I finally figured out that it was completely my fault. I have another hatch in right now that is supposed to hatch a week from Saturday (Feb. 20th). I've made adjustments to that hatch so hopefully it's not too late. I am getting one of the cream legbar chicks from the craigslist link that Saris posted (thanks!). I am excited to add her to my flock, never had one before. Anyway, I will check in periodically today and I will see everyone on Saturday [​IMG]

6. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    That sucks about your hatch. I hope the next one goes better. I hope you like that little chickie! I love my half legbars. I have a pair, boy and girl. Though they will be sold later in the summer once my Bieles and SiAms mature.

7. Hawk12

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    I know, me too. I started my last hatch in my forced air incubator and that is the one that had a temp spike for no apparent reason. At that point I started up my still air incubator and set everything the same as the forced air, including the temp. In a forced air the temp should be 99.5 but in a still air it should be 102. So the babies never hatched but were all fully developed :( I should have known something was amiss because each time I candled the air cells looked small. So crazy how everything needs to be just right (or as close to) for the babies. I feel really bad that they all died when I know it was something I did [​IMG]

8. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    What kind of pen do you ladies use to mark your eggs with? I have been using a pencil, for lack of what to use. I thought a "sharpe" would be poisonous, because of the strong sent, etc???? is there a special egg pen, i can buy??? tee hee, special egg pen

9. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Sharpie ink is sterile, you can even write on your own skin with it before surgery. I have used sharpie on all my eggs and they hatch fine unless I make an incubation error. You could use fine tipped sharpies if you're worried.

10. country lovin

country lovin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2015
    Rockford Washington
    I use the Sharpe pens with the fine tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by