North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Well, eggs are doing well in the bator....tues will make 2 weeks...but in other exciting. News..we had 2 beautiful boer goats born this afternoon about 2pm
this one is our lil girl and...
and this is our handsome lil guy!
Momma is a first timer and is lovin em both!!!

Congrats! That is awesome! I've never seen goats that young before. So precious!

Hypothesize with me for a second...
I have a white rooster, who I am under the assumption is actually recessive white, black dominant. And a buff hen. They have produced 2 black chicks and 1 blue.
Based on this chart, that would make my buff hen a blue dominant or recessive, correct?
And if that's correct, then they will not produce splash together. But if I breed a blue to a blue, I have a chance of splash.
Right?
@Saris
Anyone else is more than welcome to put their two cents in too. I'm always up for learning!
White isn't really a color per se, you get white from genes that prevent black from expressing. so all white birds are genetically black, the color just doesn't get produced.

I am betting that your white rooster carries dominate white and the blue modifying gene, but since dominate white prevents the black from expressing the blue gene is also hidden.

Buff is also caused by many factors, but all the stuff that makes buff would be hidden by the genes carried by your white rooster.

I expect if the chick is a boy it will show lots of red leakage.

I think I've checked that out before, but it didn't give me options for recessive white/dominant black. It just does straightforward calculations.

Okay, black isn't a dominate or recessive thing. White can be dominate or recessive. Give me a second to edit this to try and figure stuff out.

Last edited:
Last edited:
White isn't really a color per se, you get white from genes that prevent black from expressing. so all white birds are genetically black, the color just doesn't get produced.

I am betting that your white rooster carries dominate white and the blue modifying gene, but since dominate white prevents the black from expressing the blue gene is also hidden.

Buff is also caused by many factors, but all the stuff that makes buff would be hidden by the genes carried by your white rooster.

I expect if the chick is a boy it will show lots of red leakage.

But these two made 2 black chicks prior. I'm totally growing this chick out to test this whole theory out. I want(/have) to know.
Thank you!
And I'm totally bringing this up this saturday (forewarning :) )

Back
Top Bottom