North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Hi...question. I just got some more chicks today; I asked and was told they are 3 days old. These are the little ladies. Does it seem like they are too hot? They seem to be huddled away from the lamp. The brooder is at 90 degrees. They aren't really making noise or moving around. Just want to get someone's take on them. I don't want to kill them! I did move the lamp up a bit and will watch them for a while...

TIA! :)

Last edited:
Hi...question. I just got some more chicks today; I asked and was told they are 3 days old. These are the little ladies. Does it seem like they are too hot? They seem to be huddled away from the lamp. The brooder is at 90 degrees. They aren't really making noise or moving around. Just want to get someone's take on them. I don't want to kill them! I did move the lamp up a bit and will watch them for a while... TIA! :)
At 3 days, it should be around 95 at the hottest spot, but they should be able to get away from the heat also.

Thank you. Do the pics look like they're ok...? It just seems like they are trying to get away from the heat. And they're not peeping...so not sure if its the newness (they've been in there for about four hours) or if its the heat or too drafty...

Thank you.  Do the pics look like they're ok...?  It just seems like they are trying to get away from the heat.  And they're not peeping...so not sure if its the newness (they've been in there for about four hours)  or if its the heat or too drafty...

They're probably fine if they're not peeping.

I also had a hen go broody today. She had 2 eggs under her, but I gave her 3 more eggs tonight. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Well, broody hen gave up today. I think because she got pushed around when others tried to come in and lay... Grabbed the eggs and put them in the incubator. Time will tell how they do.

Thank you.  Do the pics look like they're ok...?  It just seems like they are trying to get away from the heat.  And they're not peeping...so not sure if its the newness (they've been in there for about four hours)  or if its the heat or too drafty...

You'll notice them panting if they're too hot. Mine did that within 24 hours after hatch and I adjusted the heat. They're all good now :)

Had a baby quail hatch today. Few Ameraucanas due in a few days.
precious.. what is that green ball in your tray? just curious, is that so she doesnt fall through?

Just realized you said you have buffs. Do you think she is a buff? I would love to know for sure. I got them from cda tsc
yes, i think she is a buff. but she does look like she has a slight stipe of lighter feathers just above her eye. my buffs did not have that??? what hatcherey did she come from? i would google the hatchery and see what they sell. i am always curious to find things like that out.

Back
Top Bottom