North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Thank you.  Do the pics look like they're ok...?  It just seems like they are trying to get away from the heat.  And they're not peeping...so not sure if its the newness (they've been in there for about four hours)  or if its the heat or too drafty...
like the ladies said, the heat should be 95 and they should be able to move into the heat and away from the heat, like about 1-2 feet away to a cooler spot, if you have a thermometer i would ck the temp directly under the lamp (on the floor of the brooder) and then ck the temp 1' away and so on. Like Hawk12 said, they will pant and their wings will open up and they will set them out away from their bodies if they are too hot, know what i mean? and if they are only 3 days old, that is all they will do is eat an sleep, for a couple more days then watch the fun begin, and the mess, tee hee.

Last edited:
yes, i think she is a buff. but she does look like she has a slight stipe of lighter feathers just above her eye. my buffs did not have that??? what hatcherey did she come from? i would google the hatchery and see what they sell. i am always curious to find things like that out.

Okay. I got them from the tractor supply in cda. I called and ask what hatchery they get them from and the guy told me they dont know. Do you know what hatchery they use? She had a real eye stripe when i got her at a couple days old.

I have dubbed this the "Year of the Rooster". It's seems that myself and a lot of people I have talked to and read comments from are wondering what to do with all the extra roosters. It's getting pretty frustrating when you get expensive eggs, only to end up with mostly roosters, pretty spendy dinners.. Except of course the mix breed ones that are not selling, better odds there.. It figures.. Oh well, gives me an excuse to buy and. hatch some more..

Me and Snowman enjoying the bonfire. He has such an amazing disposition, it would be a sin not to breed him. He'll have his own harem in a Few more months. He's Only 3 months old.

Hello everyone. I gave my broody banty 5 eggs a week ago. Today I found an extra egg from another hen in her nest. Looks like the new egg cracked one of the broody eggs. It's not leaking and seems to be mostly intact (a small circular dent). I plan on leaving it in there to see what happens. Anyone else have experience with this? I'm guessing if broody decides it's no good she will kick it to the curb?

cracked eggs usually get cracked more then they break on the good eggs, and then the mom eats the cracked egg and maybe the good eggs too. but you can do what you think is best, I would take away any new eggs though, you don't want to try and hatch out eggs of diff ages.

Hello everyone. I gave my broody banty 5 eggs a week ago. Today I found an extra egg from another hen in her nest. Looks like the new egg cracked one of the broody eggs. It's not leaking and seems to be mostly intact (a small circular dent). I plan on leaving it in there to see what happens. Anyone else have experience with this? I'm guessing if broody decides it's no good she will kick it to the curb?

I suggest removing it. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom