North Idaho / Eastern Washington

@Saris

what is a Split? what does it look like?
when you say black, do you mean an Essex O, a Black O?
do you know where i can get any?
can i just get more LO and breed them? and get more LO? they would have to have the 2 LO genes, however. and you dont really know if they have the 2 until you see the offspring, right?

Maybe I can help. When a bird is "split", they have one dominant gene and one recessive gene. Basically, the bird in this case is black, but it "carries" lavender and if bred correctly, some chicks will be lavender. I believe Saris is meaning for you to get Orpingtons, otherwise you would have crossbreed birds, when breeding your Orpingtons you already have.

You could definitely get more LO, it just depends on how hard they are to find and how expensive they are, if you want to do that. Any bird that shows lavender as a color would have the double gene, as it is recessive and only shows up when it is a double gene. If you bought a black bird, it could be hiding a lavender gene if you didn't know its breeding (which you should from the owner), but not the other way around. Make a little more sense?

Maybe I can help. When a bird is "split", they have one dominant gene and one recessive gene. Basically, the bird in this case is black, but it "carries" lavender and if bred correctly, some chicks will be lavender. I believe Saris is meaning for you to get Orpingtons, otherwise you would have crossbreed birds, when breeding your Orpingtons you already have.

You could definitely get more LO, it just depends on how hard they are to find and how expensive they are, if you want to do that. Any bird that shows lavender as a color would have the double gene, as it is recessive and only shows up when it is a double gene. If you bought a black bird, it could be hiding a lavender gene if you didn't know its breeding (which you should from the owner), but not the other way around. Make a little more sense?
Thank you. I was having a hard time finding the words to explain it without sounding condescending. All split means is that it has a recessive that you don't see. If bred to another split, 25% of the babies are lav, 50% split, 25% just black (75% appearing black). If a split and lav are bred, then half of the chicks are lav and half are black-split-lav.

I'm recommending getting black or black splits so the fraying gene that is close to the lav gene doesn't screw up the feathers, so going with all lavender orpingtons isn't good for the birds. With a split rooster and lav girls, you get a fair amount of lav offspring. If you use a black with a split, then it would take two generations to see who is split, but feather health will be better preserved. For you, a black over LO would produce all splits and you'd be good to go from there.

@CyndiD I think you have my number, so if you needed a better explanation or help forming a plan for your birds, just give me a call. If not, PM me and I can give you my number that way.

Last edited:
thank you ladies.. so i need to buy a "black O" or a "black O split"?

Lacie, you think i should get a BO rooster to cover my LO hens? just what i need is another rooster, but i will, if this is what i need to do to keep my LO going.

then breeding the BO over my LO i would get Splits, then i cover the LO hens w/the Split (sons) to finally get LO?

and the 2 LO roosters that i have now, i could put them over the Split pullets i get from the above offspring? to make Splits & then breed back these Splits to LO to make more LO.

am i understand all this correctly?

Last edited:

Lacie, you think i should get a BO rooster to cover my LO hens? just what i need is another rooster, but i will, if this is what i need to do to keep my LO going.

then breeding the BO over my LO i would get Splits, then i cover the LO hens w/the Split (sons) to finally get LO?

and the 2 LO roosters that i have now, i could put them over the Split pullets i get from the above offspring? to make Splits & then breed back these Splits to LO to make more LO.

Correct, you can also get Black Orpington hens to put under your Lavender Orpington roosters (that way you don't have more roosters to deal with) Then put the Split girls back under their dad to get more Lavender Orpingtons.

There is a lady here in Gig Harbor who has Black/LO splits pullets for sale. You can find her on FB under Stony Earth Farm

Beautiful Black Bearded Silkie Cockerel - $20
4.5 months old
Handled everyday
DNA tested male
Vaccinated against Merek's Disease
From a breeder in Florida.
Frontline applied 9/6/16

Located in Palouse, WA

For some reason it will not upload pictures from my IPhone. PM me with your email address. Thanks!

Last edited:
Used coop for sale - I purchased this coop online about six months ago. I have since purchased another coop and no longer need this one. I did seal it with water sealant, purchased better hardware, added a tin roof over the run area (picture taken before that was done) and made a base for it. Due to high winds you can strap (not included) it down, so it will not blow over. As we all know that these coops are not the greatest quality but they work. I used it to house my chicks and grow-outs in and it worked great. It is in excellent condition and I will make sure it is properly cleaned and sanitized before leaving. $100

So, I just found out they managed to pass new rules for chickens here in Hayden. No roosters, no game birds, no pigs, and a maximum of 10 hens, with a limit of one hen per 2000 sq ft of lot space. We are definitely moving now. Can't stay here and live like that without all that we've worked for.

So, I just found out they managed to pass new rules for chickens here in Hayden. No roosters, no game birds, no pigs, and a maximum of 10 hens, with a limit of one hen per 2000 sq ft of lot space. We are definitely moving now. Can't stay here and live like that without all that we've worked for.
Such a bummer. Good luck finding a new place!

Back
Top Bottom