North Idaho / Eastern Washington

@Saris
What would i get if i covered my lavender orpington w/my black australorp rooster? would i get Splits? could i use my Australorp to continue my LO line, w/my hens? i would still need to get BO for my LO roosters, or could i also get Black Australorp hens for my LO roosters?
the reason i am asking is cuz i read that the Australorp is the Australian version (so to speak) of the English Orpington.
thanks

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australorp

Wouldn't getting another lavender off Craigslist give you all the new genetics your after? Why are you searching for a black orpington? Or now looking to out cross to another breed?

[@=/u/344424/Saris]@Saris[/@] i do want to continue the LO breed. when you say "get black girls and black cockerls to put under" what kind of black chicken? and then what do i do after they breed? would i breed the offspring back to parents? and w/t black offspring and the LO parents breeding what would i get w/them? would i get LO and they would have the 2 copies of LO? is this why you say to do this? thanks
If what you have are lavender orpingtons the you'll want black orpingtons to mate them with. Once you get chicks from the lavender to black pairing you would take the chicks and put them with a lavender pairing or you could put the with each other. Here is a picture that I hope helps.
@Rod-T Saris has been helping me w/my LO project. and as i understand it, if you look at the chart above you will notice that in order to get a LO from LO i need to breed my siblings to black Orpingtons in order to get Black Split O's and then breed the offspring (black splits) back to the parents and i will get LO. Then if i understand it correctly, i can keep breeding these more and get more LO. and when they get old i can do it over again, right? the reason she is telling me to do my breeding this way, is cuz my LO are siblings. they are too close, inbreeding. do you have any information you could add to my project that would help me? thanks

Last edited:
@Rod-T Saris has been helping me w/my LO project. and as i understand it, if you look at the chart above you will notice that in order to get a LO from LO i need to breed my siblings to black Orpingtons in order to get Black Split O's and then breed the offspring (black splits) back to the parents and i will get LO.
Then if i understand it correctly, i can keep breeding these more and get more LO. and when they get old i can do it over again, right?

the reason she is telling me to do my breeding this way, is cuz my LO are siblings. they are too close, inbreeding.

do you have any information you could add to my project that would help me?
thanks
personally I'd breed what ya have. . Which is 2 roosters 2 hens.. get a flock going.. then look for new genetics next year..

Lavender bred with lavender gets more lavender... so if you're looking for more genetics get another lavender from another source. . Why look for black? I guess I could understand if black was the only thing available. .

@Rod-T Saris has been helping me w/my LO project. and as i understand it, if you look at the chart above you will notice that in order to get a LO from LO i need to breed my siblings to black Orpingtons in order to get Black Split O's and then breed the offspring (black splits) back to the parents and i will get LO.
Then if i understand it correctly, i can keep breeding these more and get more LO. and when they get old i can do it over again, right?

the reason she is telling me to do my breeding this way, is cuz my LO are siblings. they are too close, inbreeding.

do you have any information you could add to my project that would help me?
thanks
personally I'd breed what ya have. . Which is 2 roosters 2 hens.. get a flock going.. then look for new genetics next year..

Lavender bred with lavender gets more lavender... so if you're looking for more genetics get another lavender from another source. . Why look for black? I guess I could understand if black was the only thing available. .

would that be too much inbreeding?
there is also Spiral breeding, i need to read that info again.

would that be too much inbreeding?
there is also Spiral breeding, i need to read that info again.

I personally think it be ok to get a flock going with what ya have.. look for mor blood when you got more birds to work with next year.

i do not want to insult you or be rude... so, do you know quite abit about breeding? i do not, so i would be trusting in your suggestions.
thank you.

@Saris
What would i get if i covered my lavender orpington w/my black australorp rooster? would i get Splits? could i use my Australorp to continue my LO line, w/my hens? i would still need to get BO for my LO roosters, or could i also get Black Australorp hens for my LO roosters?
the reason i am asking is cuz i read that the Australorp is the Australian version (so to speak) of the English Orpington.
thanks

ETA: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australorp
I don't know how close the birds standard's are to each other. Theoretically it would work if you continued to select breeders that closest fit the English Orpington type (body shape and appearance) Orpingtons are a really common breed, they shouldn't be tough to locate.

Colorwise you would get splits, but they would not be Orpingtons or Australorps, they would be mixed breed chickens.

I suggested black because I've heard that lavender feather quality and color will be reduced over generations of only breeding lav to lav. Black are used to maintian feather quality and depth of color. I do agree that she could set up two breeding pairs and seek out black birds or other lavenders next year.

@Rod-T & @Saris
thank you very much for your suggestions, your expertise and your kindness w/my project.
i really appreciate you both and your time to help me and explain this to me.

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom