North Idaho / Eastern Washington

First chick from large blue egg... Blue Isbar.

And one from the tan, SFH

3 from check marked eggs, 4 more hatching under ma hen.

Last edited:
Saris & Gimmie - how do you guys winter chicks hatched this time of the year? I have 6 week old French Copper Marans in our shop that I need to integrate back into general pop. I wanted more chicks but I just don't know how or where to winter them.

in brood box not scrunched up because of cold, but afraid of the camera.

I have a small addition on the side of my coop, it has a south facing window, and on the north side I have hay bales. I currently have them in a brooder box with heat lamp (secured) under the lamp is about 100 I have a thermometor, on the edges it is 80, I also on the dirt floor area of the addition, I have a diff heat lamp, also secured which I am waiting for mom hen to finish her hatch then I will move her to the addition but not in a brooder box, then the chicks can be under the lamp, or under mom.

Mom hatched out 4 I was waiting on the last 3. This morning I heard clucking and peeping, The mom got in to wrong nest box. one chick had hatched and was fluffed, the other eggs were complaining about the chill, I put the hatched chick in brooder box, and the mom back on her eggs.

This is where they will go with mom, very comfy, not too hot under light.

Last edited:
Hi, i am wondering if anyone has the DVD series of LOST? I am willing to rent them from you, if you do not want to sell them. thank you
It's on Netflix if you know someone who has a subscription you could use?

Saris & Gimmie - how do you guys winter chicks hatched this time of the year? I have 6 week old French Copper Marans in our shop that I need to integrate back into general pop. I wanted more chicks but I just don't know how or where to winter them.
I usually keep them in the house until they are fully feathered (8 weeks) and then put them out with a heat pad. There are some people who brood outdoors the whole time, there is actually a really good article on it on here. Just search "outdoor brooding"

Really if you have a place they can be sheltered from the wind/wet and a way to provide some heating they can be brooder outside pretty easily, it might take a bit of set up work though.

Thanks Gimmie birdies and Saris. I have a lot of chickens right now as I am deciding which to keep for breeders but....I always want/need more. lol. I have a set up in the shop but my husband needs me to move out for the winter. He needs to park the tractor and the ranger inside. I was really hoping to maybe hatch over the winter but he thinks the shop is his...UGH.
lau.gif
Anyway, I will probably have to wait until February for more chicks.

It's on Netflix if you know someone who has a subscription you could use?

Hi, Saris... i have never used Netflix, thanks i will ck it out.
They normally have a 30 day free trial too! Depending on how you stream video it can be worth it. If you rely on DISH net or cell phone data it can be expensive in data usage to watch shows.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom