North to Alaska!

Pics
Sorry for busting into the thread, I'm in Salcha and new to chickens. I have my first 8 and they are six days old. I'm scared the bears are going to eat them this summer!
We had chickens for 3 years (in Goldstream area of Fairbanks)and never had a problem with predators of any variety...until last week. Something got over the fence and went into the coop through the small chicken door and killed, but did not eat, 30 of our 34 birds. Very sad. Obviously not a bear, but a fox or ermine maybe.

Oh I am so sorry! I'm in the Goldstream Valley, western part of it. Lots of fox and ermine but so far I haven't lost any birds. How awful for you and your birds. :-(

To: Oliversmom, that is so awful. I'm so sorry you had great a great loss.

To MatSu people: does anyone know where I can read up on the local laws about chickens? I know plenty of people that raise chickens so I just assumed it is okay but I want to know the specifics as we are getting ready to move our flock from the garage to outside where our neighbors will see them. I just want to have some back up if the neighbors start complaining about them. We have no home owners association so that's not a concern, thank goodness.

I know people who had used haybales, I have 2 inch foam board for walls, and fiberglass insulation for the roof. We used expandable foam to seal cracks and whatnot. I think the most important thing is to have a good tight door.

That's what I'm going to construct for winter time use.

Thank you! That is what I am going to go with I think. That and thick bedding. I have also heard of the flat panel ceramic convection heaters. Supposedly they aren't hot to the touch and safefor animals. Anyone try one of those? I want to be sure my ladies will be happy and comfy next winter.

Last edited:
We had chickens for 3 years (in Goldstream area of Fairbanks)and never had a problem with predators of any variety...until last week.  Something got over the fence and went into the coop through the small chicken door and killed, but did not eat, 30 of our 34 birds.  Very sad.  Obviously not a bear, but a fox or ermine maybe. 

Oh my goodness!! Why in the world would something kill the chickens for sport? That's just terrible! Our property is bordered by state land all around, and we have several game trails crossing our place. Our coop is a tack room and horse stall we have converted to a coop, so I'm hoping a motion light with a radio plugged in will help deter a curious bear. Guess we will find out this summer. I suppose we can only do so much to protect them.

To: Oliversmom, that is so awful. I'm so sorry you had great a great loss.

To MatSu people: does anyone know where I can read up on the local laws about chickens? I know plenty of people that raise chickens so I just assumed it is okay but I want to know the specifics as we are getting ready to move our flock from the garage to outside where our neighbors will see them. I just want to have some back up if the neighbors start complaining about them. We have no home owners association so that's not a concern, thank goodness.
Google search for city ordinance in the area of the Valley you are located. It can greatly depend on the size of your flock. I live in a rural subdivision in North Pole on 9/10ths of an acre but my birds are considered pets (which they really are to my family) since I don't have very many. If you have a rooster that may create a noise problem, depending on how understanding your neighbors are.

Thanks for the condolences all. My husband and I thought it was strange that they were not eaten- not even one. I suppose it could be a neighbor's dog too; we have several that routinely wander through our yard. The snow falling off the greenhouse has reduced our fence to a speed bump on one side. We set up a game camera hoping to catch at least an image of the offending creature. The coop has been closed up until we can be sure the remaining birds are safe.

I've been able to find an old ordinance for the City of Wasilla, but I don't live within city limits and so I believe the bourough code is what we would adhere to. But, thus far, I've been unable to teach down the bourough codes regarding chickens, if there even are any.

Back
Top Bottom