Its months later to your last post just wondering how your battle was going. I am battling them now. The problem is I seem to have them under control mostly on all of my chickens, three coops, except this one rooster I have... they just wont leave him alone. He got them when he was younger. I treated the whole coop at that time with Ivermectrin, and seemed to help. Very shortly after he was covered in them again, but didnt see any on others. I did him again with Ivermectrin. Month later he was invested again. I used permerthrin on him and ALL the other chickens just to be safe, i have been spraying the coops everytime i clean them out, often, and have sprayed all the chickens twice with it. another month later... still NFM on this one rooster, lots, in his wings, ears, vents area back. OMG I can't believe it. He has been bathed several times. So the last treatment I used FrontLine for dogs on them all. Seems to work well... all of them are good... except this one roo.... they are building back up again on him around vent area. I just sprayed him again with Frontline today. Why are they so attracted to this one guy. Either way its been a nightmare....

Its months later to your last post just wondering how your battle was going. I am battling them now. The problem is I seem to have them under control mostly on all of my chickens, three coops, except this one rooster I have... they just wont leave him alone. He got them when he was younger. I treated the whole coop at that time with Ivermectrin, and seemed to help. Very shortly after he was covered in them again, but didnt see any on others. I did him again with Ivermectrin. Month later he was invested again. I used permerthrin on him and ALL the other chickens just to be safe, i have been spraying the coops everytime i clean them out, often, and have sprayed all the chickens twice with it. another month later... still NFM on this one rooster, lots, in his wings, ears, vents area back. OMG I can't believe it. He has been bathed several times. So the last treatment I used FrontLine for dogs on them all. Seems to work well... all of them are good... except this one roo.... they are building back up again on him around vent area. I just sprayed him again with Frontline today. Why are they so attracted to this one guy. Either way its been a nightmare....
How funny that you reached out because I have recently been wondering how others are keeping mites away. I do exactly what you do. I do Permerthrin often-strip the shavings and cover the entire inside of the coop. I also spent months dosing everyone in Eprinex and dusting them. I did it like 4 times over the course of a month. I do believe it helped because I was no longer seeing the mites on the eggs when I would go to collect them. I have two roosters and both have the mites the worst- I believe it is because the roosters do not dust as much as the girls and I don't know about yours but one of my roosters is older. My situation is also the same because both roosters have gotten numerous baths and even Permerthin dips over the summer, bum feathers all cut, sprayed with flea and tick solutions. IDK! I really wonder if other chicken owners have them but just are not staring into their chickens vents like I am (lol.) It seriously makes me want to get rid of my roosters. The girls will have some but not as bad as the boys. I started this post because I wanted a better solution to these mites. I still have not found one. I, of course, understand ectoparasites are going to be a maintenance thing with chickens but can someone explain to me how you can treat both the coop and the birds multiple times with Permerthrin sprays/powders and topical solutions and STILL have issues?!?!? Is that frontline worth it? It is so ridiculous and extremely heartbreaking honestly. I mean not to be dramatic but you go through all of this trouble to protect your pets and do what is best for them and it still isn't enough. Terrible.

Frontline and sevin dust. Make a powder puff with pantyhose for the sevin dust and dust them all over and then spritz each bird once under each wing and once near the vent.

How funny that you reached out because I have recently been wondering how others are keeping mites away. I do exactly what you do. I do Permerthrin often-strip the shavings and cover the entire inside of the coop. I also spent months dosing everyone in Eprinex and dusting them. I did it like 4 times over the course of a month. I do believe it helped because I was no longer seeing the mites on the eggs when I would go to collect them. I have two roosters and both have the mites the worst- I believe it is because the roosters do not dust as much as the girls and I don't know about yours but one of my roosters is older. My situation is also the same because both roosters have gotten numerous baths and even Permerthin dips over the summer, bum feathers all cut, sprayed with flea and tick solutions. IDK! I really wonder if other chicken owners have them but just are not staring into their chickens vents like I am (lol.) It seriously makes me want to get rid of my roosters. The girls will have some but not as bad as the boys. I started this post because I wanted a better solution to these mites. I still have not found one. I, of course, understand ectoparasites are going to be a maintenance thing with chickens but can someone explain to me how you can treat both the coop and the birds multiple times with Permerthrin sprays/powders and topical solutions and STILL have issues?!?!? Is that frontline worth it? It is so ridiculous and extremely heartbreaking honestly. I mean not to be dramatic but you go through all of this trouble to protect your pets and do what is best for them and it still isn't enough. Terrible.
It’s because permethrin is overused and has already showed signs during testing that it has been losing its effectiveness regardless of what all the *experts* recommend. It’s labeled for poultry use so that’s what everyone sticks with and repeats over and over and over.

Frontline and sevin dust. Make a powder puff with pantyhose for the sevin dust and dust them all over and then spritz each bird once under each wing and once near the vent.
Thank you for the reply. I do believe that Permethrin is losing it's effectiveness. Which I am uncomfortable with using anyways. I will get some Sevin and give it a try. Can you elaborate on the Frontline? What kind would you recommend? When you say spritz under the wings and by the vent do you mean with the Frontline? Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. I do believe that Permethrin is losing it's effectiveness. Which I am uncomfortable with using anyways. I will get some Sevin and give it a try. Can you elaborate on the Frontline? What kind would you recommend? When you say spritz under the wings and by the vent do you mean with the Frontline? Thank you.
Well frontline is fipronil which isn’t approved for poultry use but it works way better with one or two treatments a year max. Make sure you dust the birds very well all over with the sevin powder puff too. Make sure you get plenty of dust around the vent area. They should look like a ghost when you’re done. Yes just a small spray under each wing on the skin and near the vent.
https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spr...YbWUKrkulMUKeWPMsKAZaPfx9HMdmx60aApsaEALw_wcB

Well frontline is fipronil which isn’t approved for poultry use but it works way better with one or two treatments a year max. Make sure you dust the birds very well all over with the sevin powder puff too. Make sure you get plenty of dust around the vent area. They should look like a ghost when you’re done. Yes just a small spray under each wing on the skin and near the vent.
https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spr...YbWUKrkulMUKeWPMsKAZaPfx9HMdmx60aApsaEALw_wcB
This is great. Thank you! I am going to try this next.

I can't get Sevin dust in Canada. We can't get a lot of things here, even medicine. I order what I can get from the US. We have no vets available in my area who will deal with chickens either. I am hoping with deep winter coming i can get a handle on the mites. It is pretty much the roosters that get it worse. I had read somewhere about it usually starting with them. I will just keep cleaning, spraying and treating them as best as I can, regular. I am now thinking of doing the weekly garlic juice and water spray on the chickens, weekly and then like once a month. And do the Front line every 3 months after that. :)

I can't get Sevin dust in Canada. We can't get a lot of things here, even medicine. I order what I can get from the US. We have no vets available in my area who will deal with chickens either. I am hoping with deep winter coming i can get a handle on the mites. It is pretty much the roosters that get it worse. I had read somewhere about it usually starting with them. I will just keep cleaning, spraying and treating them as best as I can, regular. I am now thinking of doing the weekly garlic juice and water spray on the chickens, weekly and then like once a month. And do the Front line every 3 months after that. :)
What have you been using so far?

Back
Top Bottom