Not again 😣

Thank you, I really do. I just feel so bad giving him away. It already hurt when I gave away his brother. But even if I do keep him, and I do move forward with the breeding plan I mentioned, it'll affect my neighbors. Having one or two HUGE males crowing will not be pleasant in the slightest for them. Whereas a bantam male (say sebright for example) whose voice is obviously much quieter than an aseel male will be less to bear for my neighbors, and I'd like to keep things civil with them. I guess I've already made up my mind, I just don't have the heart to do it
I totally understand. Whenever I have to rehome drakes and cannot find homes for them we have a friend that puts them in freezer camp to feed his family. I have to have my husband him him catch them while I am gone and they have to be out of here before I return home. I can't do it myself and it upsets me terribly knowing that is what is going to happen. It is a last resort but I have to convince myself that this person is feeding his family and how much they appreciate the food. It's not easy by no means.

I totally understand. Whenever I have to rehome drakes and cannot find homes for them we have a friend that puts them in freezer camp to feed his family. I have to have my husband him him catch them while I am gone and they have to be out of here before I return home. I can't do it myself and it upsets me terribly knowing that is what is going to happen. It is a last resort but I have to convince myself that this person is feeding his family and how much they appreciate the food. It's not easy by no means.

That's how I feel about it. I've been lucky so far and I haven't had to cull a bird immediately (due to say a serious injury or sickness) and the males that we butcher we send to an acquaintance, I can't do it. The only exception I'll make to that rule is when/if I ever have a really poorly bird, or hatch a chick with serious problems than would make their life painful

Sprightly laid an egg last night, another mostly nice one. Strong shell, tiny spot here and there, but very good otherwise
IMG-20230610-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20230610-WA0005.jpeg

When giving her calcium this morning, 4 or 5 feathers came off her, just fell
Do you think she's starting to molt?

How's the adventure-some duo? Is sprit still molting? How's Dougie?

Also, I have ducklings hatching days before they should have... As best I can tell, my coop is just not humid enough... Despite that my entire area has been flooding for like 2 weeks...

Ngl, I'm a little worried about how this is going to go, but I'll post pics if it goes well.

How's the adventure-some duo? Is sprit still molting? How's Dougie?

Also, I have ducklings hatching days before they should have... As best I can tell, my coop is just not humid enough... Despite that my entire area has been flooding for like 2 weeks...

Ngl, I'm a little worried about how this is going to go, but I'll post pics if it goes well.
Under a duck? I have internal pips on 2 under my Muscovy.

Under a duck? I have internal pips on 2 under my Muscovy.
Under a chicken. I have 2 super stubborn broody hens, and I didn't want more chickens... So I gave them duck eggs.

... I expected the broody hens to stop brooding, as they'd already been going for a couple of weeks. I am apparently actually getting ducklings.

I have 3 eggs that pipped while they were in the coop (I found them last night, when I was checking for viability 4 days before I they were going to hatch). They're (hens and eggs) all now in my bedroom with a humidifier going. We'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom