Not All Chickens Laying ?

GaryJ73167

Hatching
Jun 30, 2017
My wife and brother-in-law spent a month preparing our yard for Chickens. The coop was built (many tips taken from these forums), fence built,..etc..etc....and finally, as of June 23rd, we were ready for chickens

So, my wife's niece (which has many chickens and is much more knowledgeable tan my wife and I) gave us 7 of her chickens. She said they are a little under 2 years old and are active egg layers. So, we now have 7 chickens in our coop. I do not know what kind of chickens these are but do have pictures if someone can tell by looking at them)

We make certain that our chickens are in a very low stress environment. We give them very healthy treats, always make sure they have fresh water, clean their coop regularly. We spearate them from our dogs with a fence. And our dogs are (for the most part) pretty respecful and dont sit there and bark at the chickens. We also have enough BINS (Is that what they're called?) built in the coop with plenty of room and bedding for laying eggs. We have 16 BIN's and only 7 chickens (For now).

We didnt see an egg for about 6 or 7 days, but, now they are finally starting to lay.

Which brings me to my question. We have 7 chickens, but only getting 4 eggs per day. I was under the assumption that each chicken lays about 1 egg per day.

Am I expecting this to happen too soon ? We have only had the chickens for about 11 or 12 days so far.

Any thoughts on this ?

We'll first of all, moving is very stressful. Some of the chickens may not have recovered from that quite yet, and haven't started laying again. Also, one egg a day is average, but some chickens lay three eggs a week. And their age speed affect it. Although they aren't old, they will show down laying soon. Overall, I don't think you have much to worry about. As long as you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll have happy chickens!

A new environment can throw them out of whack. Also, not all breeds lay every day.

We'll first of all, moving is very stressful. Some of the chickens may not have recovered from that quite yet, and haven't started laying again. Also, one egg a day is average, but some chickens lay three eggs a week. And their age speed affect it. Although they aren't old, they will show down laying soon. Overall, I don't think you have much to worry about. As long as you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll have happy chickens!

Thank you for your reply. I figured that we didnt have anything to worry about. I just wanted to get some confirmation :)

A new environment can throw them out of whack. Also, not all breeds lay every day.

Thank you for your reply.

For reference (not sure if you can tell what breed they are), here they are eating some watermelon with my wife :)

Back
Top Bottom