How old are these scroungy-looking twerps? Have they ever had a fall molt yet? The curious fact that only the Australorps are affected points to a possible genetics cause.

The reason I think this is because I have a scroungy-looking twerp in my flock of 21, and she's the only one who looks like this. She's a Cream Legbar/EE mix and she went two years before she had her first molt. She has never had a fall molt. Her first molt was last June. I'm still waiting for her to have her second molt. She is beyond frowzy. She looks like a chicken joke for a bad hair day.

Well I got my original 6 chickens (1 amberlink, 1 leghorn, 2 ISAs, 2 australorps) March last year as chicks from family farm and home and then I rescued 3 australorps from my neighbor who went to jail and no one was taking care of them (they are also about a year old). I rescued them in January this year before the arctic freeze....

If it were mites, I would expect to see the entire flock impacted. Check for mites, but my guess is that the most pristine looking bird/birds is/are feather plucking the Australorps.
I will check for mites and lice, but I was thinking it would affect others as well.. also the backs of their necks are bare of feathers as well so if it is from over preening (or whatever you call it..) they can't reach that area to pluck their own feathers.. also they are laying totally regularly, I get 8-9 eggs almost every day. No pale Combs or wattles either.

If it were mites, I would expect to see the entire flock impacted. Check for mites, but my guess is that the most pristine looking bird/birds is/are feather plucking the Australorps.
I will check for mites and lice, but I was thinking it would affect others as well.. also the backs of their necks are bare of feathers as well so if it is from over preening (or whatever you call it..) they can't reach that area to pluck their own feathers.. also they are laying totally regularly, I get 8-9 eggs almost every day. No pale Combs or wattles either.

5 black australorp hens, 2 Isa Brown hens, 1 white leghorn hen, and 1 amberlinks hen in my flock. 4 of my black australorp hens are missing feathers on their necks and butt area.

Why would it be just the 4 black ones and no one else?

also the backs of their necks are bare of feathers as well so if it is from over preening (or whatever you call it..) they can't reach that area to pluck their own feathers.
I would observe them more closely, especially at roosting time - I "think" you have probably answered your own question - you have only 4 that have feather loss, the back of their necks are bare as well (a place they can't reach to pluck out on their own).

What are you feeding your girls?

My experience with mites has been that while all my chickens had Northern Fowl mites, only two of them infested to the point that it was noticeable. Like, those two were the original carriers.

That said, I wonder if it's just how they molt. I know my Faverolles had hard molts and they always started at the beard/neck area.

You haven't mentioned whether these hens have ever had a molt yet. By my calculations, they will molt soon if they haven't already started. You should see some major feather fallout by August sometime. I still believe your Australorps are a mess because they are getting ready for their first molt.

I still believe your Australorps are a mess because they are getting ready for their first molt.
Nah, too major of mess for a pre-molt status, IMO....something else going on here.

Well I got my original 6 chickens (1 amberlink, 1 leghorn, 2 ISAs, 2 australorps) March last year as chicks from family farm and home and then I rescued 3 australorps from my neighbor who went to jail and no one was taking care of them (they are also about a year old). I rescued them in January this year before the arctic freeze....
Are the birds with feather loss the ones you rescued?
Did feather loss start when they came into your flock?

...and don't think these questions have been asked/answered....so:
Is your coop and run big enough for 9 birds?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Protein percentage and manufacturing date of feed can have an affect,
both should be on tag sewn into bottom of bag or sew strip.

Back
Top Bottom