Not an emergency, curious on your thoughts on how these chickens look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isadora

Toadally awesome 🛸 🏴‍☠️
Mar 29, 2021
Indiana
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, not sure where to put it. Did these chickens look healthy to you? Why or why not? They were a whole bunch of them at the flea market today. They look like they had pale combs / wattles, bedraggled or dirty feathers, and some of the hens are missing feathers as well. Would this be due to poor living conditions, poor feeding, etc? I caught glimpse of a pile of eggs near the trailer where the people that brought them were collecting them. A bunch of the eggs were misshapen.View attachment 2622374View attachment 2622386

Well I would be in bad shape too! How terrible to be crammed in a crate like that. Thank the heavens I wasn't there. .. Poor babies.

Well I would be in bad shape too! How terrible to be crammed in a crate like that. Thank the heavens I wasn't there. .. Poor babies.
Forgot your question ! Obviously they care little about them and they look it . poor living conditions cheap food and unhappy birds. I would like to take them. (The owners )out in the woods for a spell.

Pale combs may mean poor general health and /or cessation of laying hormones, which can be caused by ill health and poor diet. Fluffed out feathers can indicate illness. Condition of the feathers would indicate overcrowding and resulting aggression causing feather plucking and conflicts. Misshapen eggs can indicate disease - respiratory illness or avian cancer.

The chickens are in sad shape, but I would caution you against trying to bring them home to rescue them. You would be importing disease that could contaminate your premises for many months after the chickens all die, maybe even years.

The chickens are in sad shape, but I would caution you against trying to bring them home to rescue them. You would be importing disease that could contaminate your premises for many months after the chickens all die, maybe even years.
Thank you for your reply! I didn't purchase any. The last thing I want to do is support someone who doesn't raise their birds properly. I just wanted to put some feelers out and see if people agreed with me with these hens looked like they were not in good shape.

I would even advise against buying some to butcher for meat. They likely are carrying salmonella. Swap meets and flea markets are terrible venues to buy chickens. They would be more aptly named "Disease Depots".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom