Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Yes they can be eaten. We are immune to this form of herpes and the cooking process negates it anyways.
Good to know, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth... most of mine are very thin once I find them. Like the one I just saw, I doubt she weighs 700 grams.

I could have sworn that I read about turkeys in France with Marek's... IMHO, it's just a matter of time before it's a problem in all other species.
turkeys have their own form of Marek's. In fact, it's one of the most popular vaccines for chickens. Chickens can't get turkey Marek's and vice versa. Now if this isn't something new that you have found...turkey Marek's doesn't affect them the way it does chickens ie; it isn't as devastating to the turkeys and they do not show symptoms they way chickens do. If you can find the link or whatever about this would you please share? I 'live' now to do what I can to get this crap gone. The smarter I am...the less mistakes I will make. It's about all I've got left.

Good to know, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth... most of mine are very thin once I find them. Like the one I just saw, I doubt she weighs 700 grams.
Yes, I know. I haven't eaten one of mine either. I'm foolish enough to hope and pray that what I'm seeing isn't what I think it is. By the time I accept the truth...it ain't worth the effort.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
turkeys have their own form of Marek's. In fact, it's one of the most popular vaccines for chickens. Chickens can't get turkey Marek's and vice versa. Now if this isn't something new that you have found...turkey Marek's doesn't affect them the way it does chickens ie; it isn't as devastating to the turkeys and they do not show symptoms they way chickens do. If you can find the link or whatever about this would you please share? I 'live' now to do what I can to get this crap gone. The smarter I am...the less mistakes I will make. It's about all I've got left.
If I can find it, I'll let you know...

Thanks!!!! It's about all we have now isn't it? Maybe this is a good thing, it seems you and I, as well as a few others see these posts and give them the other side of the coin. Maybe, just maybe, we can save someone else from what we live.

Thank you for the info. I can't be sure it is mareks, as I didn't get the birds tested. Only one breed ever died, the others have always been fine. I suppose I'll never know... I still love my birds, and will continue to enjoy them =) Thank you sooooo much!! You guys are so helpful!

Thank you for the info. I can't be sure it is mareks, as I didn't get the birds tested. Only one breed ever died, the others have always been fine. I suppose I'll never know... I still love my birds, and will continue to enjoy them =) Thank you sooooo much!! You guys are so helpful!

I'll apologize ahead of time if this sounds rude, but now all of a sudden you think it might not be Marek's? Seems sort of convenient. I hope it isn't, but if you're avoiding the truth so as to be able to sell eggs in good conscience, please do your future customers a favor and have a necropsy done. I'm sure many people get the disease in their flocks because others suspected they had it and never got a conclusive answer. That is how the problem is perpetuated.

I'll apologize ahead of time if this sounds rude, but now all of a sudden you think it might not be Marek's? Seems sort of convenient. I hope it isn't, but if you're avoiding the truth so as to be able to sell eggs in good conscience, please do your future customers a favor and have a necropsy done. I'm sure many people get the disease in their flocks because others suspected they had it and never got a conclusive answer. That is how the problem is perpetuated.

No, it doesn't sound rude =) I understand that. I just mean I'll probably never know if it was. But as for my own birds, I'll continue to enjoy them.

If you didn't have a necropsy done, you may be borrowing trouble. It may not be Marek's. You need to contact your State Vet and see where the best and cheapest place for you would be for a necropsy. If it is in fact Marek's, it won't stop. It's the gift that keeps on giving. You'll have another bird who will die and I hope you have the testing done so you can be sure what it is going on with your flock. I wish you good luck and pray that this is all a misunderstanding as to what is there.

Back
Top Bottom