Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

That's great Ocho!

I have learned from my big book that different strains of Marek's only means different virulence, like V=virulent, VV=very virulent, and VVVmeans Very very virulent. Since they are all treated with the same vaccine or vaccines, with the more virulent strains I feel you have to help the vaccine more like be extra diligent and keep them quarantined longer. After that try to put them out in an area you think may be less virulent like upwind from the flock, farther away, anything to lessen the concentration and a longer time to develop stronger or more antibodies.

I also wonder if extra protein would help because antibodies are built mostly of protein. Thoughts?

that's why I really don't want a chick here. It's awful regardless but I really like getting the grown out birds although I pay a lot. $100 for the 2 showgirls shipped from IL to OH. Pretty price for 2 chickens! That could get it (but I won't think like that!). Those ee's were very expensive too. $100 for them and then $40 I think to put them down, maybe he only charged $20 but still.

I have 10 silkie chicks. Noticed one sleeps a lot. Today she can only wing walk and leg walk about 3 steps. They are about 3 weeks old and were vaccinated day 1 for Marek's.
hit.gif
I don't know if I should tube and if I have something small enough or how much to give (starting with water). She did have one nice poop but it was a kindof gray color.
That is sad news! :( However, is it even possible for them to show signs of Marek's at such a young age? I thought it took six weeks for the virus to replicate in the chicken and then start to show signs. Maybe it is something simpler like Coccidia.

I have little feeding tubes that I give water in. You can buy them on line. You can also put little pellets or food in their beak to get them to eat. I'm hoping it is something simple and that your chicks looks better in the morning.

My sick pullet, Little Loca, ran out of the stall when I got home and was eating up a storm today. This is like a roller coaster. I sure do like the good days though. I told the girls to keep fighting and be strong...I don't want to lose anymore of them.

I always vaccinate and almost always buy vaccinated, But, what do you do if you really need an older chick that you have finally found and it hasn't been vaccinated???

Last edited:
I always vaccinate and almost always buy vaccinated, But, what do you do if you really need an older chick that you have finally found and it hasn't been vaccinated???
Personally, I would vaccinate it and then keep it isolated for 4 weeks so it can build immunity. You would normally want to quarantine a new bird for that long so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Hopefully she has a buddy to be in QT with!

Marek's? Even with all of the reading here and on the web. Not sure what next.

1 20 wk pullet passed quickly a few months ago. Necropsy was Marek's (internal tumor type) She didn't have time to lose weight. Just looked ill 2 days and died in the night. No problems with legs or walking. Her legs went front and back just prior to death. At least, that is the way I found her in her box in the house.

Still had 1 bantam rooster, 3 bantam pullets 1 SF pullet and 4 EE hen's. I assumed with this news, that in short order they would drop one by one.... Nothing happened, until last week...

Rooster and his sister are ill. I am assuming Marek's. Drunk staggering, no balance. Legs and wings are not ever stiff, but more limp, no strength. They sit on their hocks, sleep alot. The hens right pupil doesn't respond to light properly. They Eat and Drink sort of okay. I am giving them egg soaked bread, cat food, bananna, tuna, yogurt, chicken food. St John's Wort, Turmeric, trying Acetyl-L Carnitine (amino acid for nerve damage). No real changes, yesterday the pullet wanted out and tried to stand and peck around the laundry room. Today, pretty listless. Rooster who was laying on his side yesterday was standing up this morning and gobbling the food I brought after not crowing one day, crowed 12 times this am. From this thread I see that there is just ups and downs, no real improvement to be expected.

That said, if it is Marek's and they will not recover fully... As many of you have experienced. I would want to euth. now rather than months down the road. It's exhausting and sucked out alot of the joy out of having chickens. Stinks cuz they are so aware and alert....

Question???? Thoughts??? Before I end this, I will try antibiotics and corid, I guess worm them...to give it every chance to not be Mareks.

Vitamin deficiency....I can't imagine how... Everyone else is healthy, good weight and laying. (for now
hit.gif
)

Thanks for reading. So freaking sad.

alibabba,
I'm so sorry you are joining us - mareks sucks. I had a mareks diagnosis in Oct, and have lost one additional bird in January. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the flock. Hang in there, whatever you decide (culling versus waiting it out).

@alibabba Sorry to see you have found it necessary to join this thread

My two girls are holding their own and have been for several months now and I'm getting eggs from them despite their disability. What I am learning from them more than anything, is that they want to be out in the sunshine whenever possible and that they want to be part of the flock albeit in a protected way (being isolated just stresses and depresses them and that is when they get worse).

Everyone is different and personally I cannot cull them whilst they are clearly happy even if the overall prognosis is bad. One of these girls has got no worse in 6 months and has learned to adapt to her disability. The other one has better days and less good ones but overall she hasn't got any worse for 3 months. One eats very delicately whilst the other wolfs food down, but if it is a choice between food(even treats) and going outside, they choose to go out. You should have seen them arguing over a worm that one of them was lucky enough to find in the grass today.... definitely happy chickens. I'm getting an egg every 2-3 days from each of them. Yes they are a bit more work, but they are becoming more pets as a result of all the extra handling, so I don't really mind. My yard is in the centre of a busy village opposite the bus stand and it puts a smile on people's faces to see me with a chicken under each arm on a morning as I carry them out to their special enclosure. Everyone knows they are my "Special Needs Chickens"

For your information, the ones I have had that were lame and fully recovered, did so within a couple of weeks.

I hope you are able to come to the right decision for your situation.

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom