NOT an emergency - swollen feet

Mac

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
South Central PA
hi all, its the "other" Mac. been away for a few months, missed you. in short, my husband broke his leg, and i broke my collar bone, plus we moved to the farm, hence the shortness of this message and bad typing. i have only one wing.

one of my 4 rir hens, 5 yrs old has swollen feet. not scaly leg mites. picture an old arthritic human hand. otherwise, she is fine. tomorrow, now that i'm here with help, she is going to be caught and put in my new infirmary. i just don't know what to do w/o help from you guys. sorry for not using search this time, just can't.

tks in advance,
mac

might be gout...might be edema from some other condition, might be viral arthitis...
...can you post a pic?

unfortunately no - maybe in the next day or so when help arrives. i just want to buy anything in advance of help arriving and have on hand.

tks
mac

I am trying to upload two pictures of her swollen feet. Wish me luck.

Mac

2886_dsc02260.jpg

2886_dsc02264.jpg

tks, yes, now they are occasionally on asphalt because they have happily become free range for a few hours a day. remember, she is the only hen w/ this issue. eating, drinking, laying and pooping fine.

Quote:
I read where hens should not be on concrete or asphalt for long periods of time due to their feet being very tender . Asphalt has a certain petroleum compound and problem that may also effect them .

Last edited:
maybe washing the feet to remove any residue..
confine the hen to smallish area with food and water and soft bedding..
she may need some antibiotic ointment on the feet..especially any open sores..should be treated with diluted Betadine.

could be Bumblefoot, but could be a reaction to asphalt..also check the bottoms of the feet and between toes for any sores or scabs..

she may need Pen-G procaine or Baytril to treat possible staph infection. ..

aspirin for inflammation/swelling might help.
a 81mg ASPIRIN in crushed and dissolved into 1 cup of water
only use plain aspirin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom