Not an emrgency but can chicks pass from being held?

AstralKoga

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
Hawaii, United States
I went outside to spend some time with the feral chickens today like I usually do, and when I sat down one of the kids seemed to be putting down a chick about a week or two of age, and was telling it to go back to its mother. Well, it was just standing there for a bit, and then kind of jogged over to the mother. Usually this hen's chicks are very lively, loud, energetic, and fast. And the chick was perfectly fine this morning, but now in the afternoon, it seems to be on it's last moments, huddling in corners, standing still with its eyes closed, and now its sitting down with it's head tucked under itself. I tried to help it by handling it carefully and slowly as to not cause any of those sudden movements you feel while on a rollercoaster for the chick, and gave it some egg yolk and water. I have high hopes, but now they aren't so high since the poor thing seemed exhausted and defeated. So yeah, can chicks, (and baby animals in general?) simply die from being held? (or played with like a toy by kids)

depends. do you think the children may have injured the bird? is it possible that the bird is diseased, and that is why the children were able to catch it? or did it go to them and allow itself to be captured?
That part I'm not too sure on, but they usually run away from the kids and usually come running to me just while I'm walking. As do all the other chickens in the area. Should I do water with some salt and sugar and raw or cooked yolk?

That part I'm not too sure on, but they usually run away from the kids and usually come running to me just while I'm walking. As do all the other chickens in the area. Should I do water with some salt and sugar and raw or cooked yolk?
I usually offer water and/ or electrolytes, plus a scrambled egg.

Any small creature can die from rough handling.

You said the chick is feral, so anything could have happened to it, but I suspect the kids could have made it worse. Unless you separate the chick from its mother, there won't be a ton you can do, besides what you've already done.

Back
Top Bottom