Not Asking anything just making a statement

A boy with ducks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2023
STOP buying crested ducks. The little fluff on their head is a deformity that is literally a hole in their skull and will sometimes make them dizzy and fall over. I want to start a cult to ban breeding crested ducks if you didn’t know this and you have a crusted duck, I’m not trying to be mean, but I just think it’s dumb that people breed animals with deformities on purpose so let’s band breeding crested ducks

Attachments

• D5275BAD-54ED-497A-B1E3-62DCF638BB56.jpeg
    D5275BAD-54ED-497A-B1E3-62DCF638BB56.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 77
I will bite, please know I respect your opinion but I also love a good debate. If I understand you correctly you would like all crested ducks to go extinct?

I have a beautiful crested duck, I believe she is a Silver Swedish. I did not buy her but got her from a friend who was getting rid of her. Her name is Mayo.
EE4C4219-1680-4CA1-A9E4-3179C8AF520B.jpeg

She does not have any neurological problems and her six ducklings did not either (they also did not have visible crests).

I recently read the book, “Unnatural Selection”, by Katrina Van Grouw. I highly recommend it. It is about all the “deformities” or mutations in dogs, chickens,ducks, etc. that humans have intentionally bred for. First, she says that problem seen in crested ducks isn’t from the hole, which closes up as the bird matures, but that a few are born with bony tendrils, called osteophytes, that can grow into the Pom-Pom or the brain. If they grow into the brain it causes the nervous system issues like being dizzy. She says that MOST crested ducks do not have these tendrils. Good breeders do not breed ducks that have those problems and therefor the tendrils. There is a simple, harmless test to test for issues. Ducks are places gently on their backs and timed for how long it takes them to get back upright. The faster ines are used for breeding.

And, as I said before, the hole closes as the bird matures. Human babies are born with a “soft spot” or hole where the bones of the skull meet. It allows are brains to continue to grow. So, the hole itself isn’t a good reason in my opinion.

The Pom pom itself is made of fat. Recently they have found similarities between those fat bodies and those found in humans with Parkinson’s. What if crested ducks hold the key to cure Parkinson’s.

Interestingly, the feathers found on the crest match the back feathers, not the other head feathers. Not any reason to keep crested ducks but fascinating.

Anyway, the book also documents how humans have bred for the hooked bill in Hookbill ducks and the bowling pin stance of the Runner ducks. Both have there advantages and disadvantages and are “deformities” from nature. So is the size of Pekins for that matter.

Personally, I think we all need to inform ourselves with as much knowledge as possible and breed for the health of our animals. I do not think getting rid of crested ducks is the answer.

I will bite, please know I respect your opinion but I also love a good debate. If I understand you correctly you would like all crested ducks to go extinct?

I have a beautiful crested duck, I believe she is a Silver Swedish. I did not buy her but got her from a friend who was getting rid of her. Her name is Mayo.
View attachment 3572907
She does not have any neurological problems and her six ducklings did not either (they also did not have visible crests).

I recently read the book, “Unnatural Selection”, by Katrina Van Grouw. I highly recommend it. It is about all the “deformities” or mutations in dogs, chickens,ducks, etc. that humans have intentionally bred for. First, she says that problem seen in crested ducks isn’t from the hole, which closes up as the bird matures, but that a few are born with bony tendrils, called osteophytes, that can grow into the Pom-Pom or the brain. If they grow into the brain it causes the nervous system issues like being dizzy. She says that MOST crested ducks do not have these tendrils. Good breeders do not breed ducks that have those problems and therefor the tendrils. There is a simple, harmless test to test for issues. Ducks are places gently on their backs and timed for how long it takes them to get back upright. The faster ines are used for breeding.

And, as I said before, the hole closes as the bird matures. Human babies are born with a “soft spot” or hole where the bones of the skull meet. It allows are brains to continue to grow. So, the hole itself isn’t a good reason in my opinion.

The Pom pom itself is made of fat. Recently they have found similarities between those fat bodies and those found in humans with Parkinson’s. What if crested ducks hold the key to cure Parkinson’s.

Interestingly, the feathers found on the crest match the back feathers, not the other head feathers. Not any reason to keep crested ducks but fascinating.

Anyway, the book also documents how humans have bred for the hooked bill in Hookbill ducks and the bowling pin stance of the Runner ducks. Both have there advantages and disadvantages and are “deformities” from nature. So is the size of Pekins for that matter.

Personally, I think we all need to inform ourselves with as much knowledge as possible and breed for the health of our animals. I do not think getting rid of crested ducks is the answer.
Just ordered the book, thanks for the suggestion

View attachment 3572907

View attachment 3572907
Human babies are born with a “soft spot” or hole where the bones of the skull meet. It allows are brains to continue to grow. So, the hole itself isn’t a good reason in my opinion.

I always thought the “soft spot” and flexibility between human skull plates was to facilitate passage through what would otherwise be a too narrow pelvis. Biological adaptation to allow extra brain development prior to birth.

No statement about ducks one way or the other.

I love these threads. The ancillary information sends me down so many wiki holes. 💚

Ok
I always thought the “soft spot” and flexibility between human skull plates was to facilitate passage through what would otherwise be a too narrow pelvis. Biological adaptation to allow extra brain development prior to birth.

I love these threads. The ancillary information sends me down so many wiki holes. 💚
i think you are correct, hence my cone head babies. My bad, I stand corrected.

Didnt want you to feel bad but i just think is horrible people breed these for show
You are sweet and I don’t feel bad but I still disagree with you. Your video is a girl (with no degree in Biology) who has done limited research and is misrepresenting the results because of her limited genetic understanding, in my opinion, based on her genetic vocabulary, numbers, and conclusions.

With that same reasoning let’s get rid of Jumbo Pekins. They are bred, intentionally, with a mutation which makes them grow extra large and fast. They are bred that way so they are ready to be eaten faster. But, when we keep them as pets they often have leg issues. In the wild, being white and huge, they wouldn’t survive as long as a crested ducks. I’m sure know you can’t believe everything you see on the internet. Btw, my BS is in Biology, I teach AP Biology, and I enjoy a good argument. We can have different opinions and still be friends. I do think you are pretty awesome for caring so much!

With that same reasoning let’s get rid of Jumbo Pekins. They are bred, intentionally, with a mutation which makes them grow extra large and fast. They are bred that way so they are ready to be eaten faster. But, when we keep them as pets they often have leg issues
Gosh can I agree with that. I have a female that's 13 weeks old and she is already enormous. Her niacin needs were to the point I had to seperate her every day and supplement her. If I just up amd left her to live on her own as a duckling, that need would have crippled her before anything likely ate her.

20230707_105919.jpg

You are sweet and I don’t feel bad but I still disagree with you. Your video is a girl (with no degree in Biology) who has done limited research and is misrepresenting the results because of her limited genetic understanding, in my opinion, based on her genetic vocabulary, numbers, and conclusions.

With that same reasoning let’s get rid of Jumbo Pekins. They are bred, intentionally, with a mutation which makes them grow extra large and fast. They are bred that way so they are ready to be eaten faster. But, when we keep them as pets they often have leg issues. In the wild, being white and huge, they wouldn’t survive as long as a crested ducks. I’m sure know you can’t believe everything you see on the internet. Btw, my BS is in Biology, I teach AP Biology, and I enjoy a good argument. We can have different opinions and still be friends. I do think you are pretty awesome for caring so much!
Btw, my BS is in Biology, I teach AP Biology,
Sure it is

Back
Top Bottom