Not breathing or walking properly

Greyna9975

Hatching
May 4, 2016
Laredo
I'm a first time chicken owner and i have a 4 month old, female cubalaya chicken. It seems shes not breathing properly and has her beak slightly agap and gasping for air; this started happening a few hours ago. A few days ago i noticed she stopped walking and whenever she tries to stand up she is super unbalanced and drags her left leg and end up spinning in a circle? Any idea on what could be wrong with my little Paquita? Her diet consists of chicken feed and water that sometimes has tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder. I currently have her isolated with a heat lamp and cleaned poop off her butt. Should i take her to the vet or is this the end for her? Here is a video of her breathing

I'm a first time chicken owner and i have a 4 month old, female cubalaya chicken. It seems shes not breathing properly and has her beak slightly agap and gasping for air; this started happening a few hours ago. A few days ago i noticed she stopped walking and whenever she tries to stand up she is super unbalanced and drags her left leg and end up spinning in a circle? Any idea on what could be wrong with my little Paquita? Her diet consists of chicken feed and water that sometimes has tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder. I currently have her isolated with a heat lamp and cleaned poop off her butt. Should i take her to the vet or is this the end for her? Here is a video of her breathing
Poor thing.
Can you take her to a vet?
Is her face swollen, any sign of nasal/eye discharge?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

It looks like she has a respiratory infection. It could be Mycoplasma (MG), Infectious Bronchitis or something similar if she had facial swelling, eye and nose discharge. With the leg problems and unbalance it could also be Marek's (if there is no discharge).

You can try some Tylan50 injectible given orally. Dosage is 1cc per 5pound of weight.

You may also want to give her some scrambled/hard boiled egg to eat. If you have them some poultry vitamins won't hurt either.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I took her to the vet and it turned out she had somehow contracted an infection from a crow and they gave her an antibiotic and she passed away earlier today

Back
Top Bottom